Question about PS pulley alignment

junioRace

Established Member
On my RUSlow power steering pulley, with it pressed on as far as I can get it, it still is not in alignment with the harmonic dampner pulley when looking at it from underneath the truck. Looks like it could go back another 3/16 " at the most, (before the pulley is against the block). Didn't notice when I pulled the stocker, but I would tend to believe they should line up exact.

How does your pulley look? Thanks

FordFanStan

Established Member
When it is installed all the way the p/s pulley center should sit flush with the shaft of the p/s pump. I mean the shaft should be flush witht he pulley, it should not stick out past the pulley nor be inset... Stan

junioRace

Established Member
Thanks Stan, Of course, common sense would dictate that the pulleys should all line up on the serpentine system....but every once in a while there is something that pops up that doesn't make common sense.

The pulley is going on HARD. Initially, broke off an installer bolt inside the shaft. Got what was left out of the shaft (finally) and took it to a machine shop. We have anti-seized the heck out of it, ran it on then back off and repeated the procedure. Where the pulley is at right now on the shaft takes some muscle. We are using a grade 8 bolt to install so we shouldn't break the bolt again. I am thinking we may have to apply some heat to the pulley. Just don't want to discolor the aluminum too bad or damage the seals on the p/s unit. :beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread