Question about Predator for 03-04 Cobra

Voodoo Snake

Established Member
I'm getting a Predator tuner for my 03 Termy and i have a question:

Previously, I used a Superchips Microtuner for my 04 Termy and it said to remove the fuel pump fuse before installing the tune.

The Predator does not mention removing a fuel pump fuse prior to install. Is this just a Superchips thing? They thought it was pretty important to do it for Superchips.

This is what Superchips says:

"THIS MAY BE THE MOST IMPORTANT INSTRUCTION IN THIS ENTIRE MANUAL!
Because of techniques that the Ford Motor Company uses with the ECM in gasoline vehicles, for safety, YOU MUST REMOVE THE FUEL PUMP FUSE BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO INSTALL A PERFORMANCE PROGRAM OR TO RETURN THE VEHICLE TO ITS STOCK PROGRAM. Failure to remove this fuse may cause severe damage to your engine."

Thanks

Last edited:

Voodoo Snake

Established Member
Update:

I called Superchips and asked Tech Support why removing the fuel pump fuse is necessary before installing the tune on a Superchips Microtuner.

The answer I received is: "It is very important to remove the fuel pump fuse on all Gas Fords prior to installing the handheld tune because the fuel pump will continue to run during the tune install and if if it isnt removed, 1 and/or 2 things can happen:

-engine can get flooded with fuel and/or
-because the fuel pump will continue to run during the install process, the install may not get fully completed. This is because it is drawing power during install and can compromise the tune process.

If anyone has any thoughts please post!

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I think it does make sense about the pumps running and taking voltage away from the comp. However, when the key is cycled forward I question whether the pumps run for more than a second unless the engine starts up but maybe someone else will chime in who knows for sure. But like you said Diablosport apparently doesn't think this is an issue. If it makes you feel better, myself and many others have flashed our computers numerous times without pulling the pump fuse.

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
The pump only runs for a moment when the ky is turned on. I have used the Predator tuner several times without any problems. There is no mention in the manual about pulling the fuse. There is mention about power drain such as dome light and other items.

BAFRAID

VERY AFRAID
Established Member
there's no need to pull the Fuel Pump fuse when installing the tune with the Predator. The pumps only turn on for a second or two and when the pressure is built up in the line, they'll stop until the engine requires more fuel pressure (starting the engine). I've installed tunes in my car dozens of times and have never had a problem. I've never even heard of pulling the fuse FWIW. good luck....

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
It's in the instructions for both Predator and XCAL, but I've never seen anyone actually do it (even well-known custom tuners)

The important thing to remember is that electrical drains or surges of any kind must be avoided while flashing because they can permanently damage the PCM

Also, make sure your battery is fully charged before flashing...

Last edited:

Voodoo Snake

Established Member
Show me where it is in the instructions for the Predator, cause i don't see it anywhere.

It's in the instructions for both Predator and XCAL, but I've never seen anyone actually do it (even well-known custom tuners)

The important thing to remember is that electrical drains or surges of any kind must be avoided while flashing because they can permanently damage the PCM

Also, make sure your battery is fully charged before flashing...

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I may be wrong about the Predator's documentation, as I switched to SCT a long time ago

SCT states (on page 4 of the XCAL2 service manual):
"It is a good idea to turn off all accessories such a stereo systems while flashing. You must also pull the fuel pump and fan fuses to prevent these from drawing vehicle power during a flashing session."

Voodoo Snake

Established Member
Trust me, Diablosport doesn't post that anywhere. I called their Support line and the guy said "Huh?"

Maybe Superchips did a "CYA" in posting that statement in case something did happen because of fuel flooding the engine or the tune getting erased because of not removing the fuel pump fuse? Who knows....if anyone knows anything to validate this, please do tell.

I may be wrong about the Predator's documentation, as I switched to SCT a long time ago

SCT states (on page 4 of the XCAL2 service manual):
"It is a good idea to turn off all accessories such a stereo systems while flashing. You must also pull the fuel pump and fan fuses to prevent these from drawing vehicle power during a flashing session."

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
The warnings about voltage fluctuations during flashing are applicable to ALL flash devices, regardless of brand

The fuse warnings for fan and fuel pump can be safely ignored on this particular vehicle because ours dont run during KeyOn operation (except for the initial pump prime)

Documentation is often generically written to cover multiple cars, and this is such a case

If you're worried, just remove the fuses...how much easier can something be than pulling a couple fuses?? :shrug:

Last edited:

Voodoo Snake

Established Member
Hell ya I'm worried! With the Superchips tuner on my 04 they told me to remove it. With the Predator tune on my 03 now, how do i know removing the fuse during Predator's install won't f**k up my car? Yes, I'm paranoid but I just bought a 28K car with 12K miles on it and flawless and bone stock right down to the paper filter.

The warnings about voltage fluctuations during flashing are applicable to ALL flash devices, regardless of brand

The fuse warnings for fan and fuel pump can be safely ignored on this particular vehicle because ours dont run during KeyOn operation (except for the initial pump prime)

Documentation is often generically written to cover multiple cars, and this is such a case

If you're worried, just remove the fuses...how much easier can something be than pulling a couple fuses?? :shrug:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Hell ya I'm worried! With the Superchips tuner on my 04 they told me to remove it. With the Predator tune on my 03 now, how do i know removing the fuse during Predator's install won't f**k up my car? Yes, I'm paranoid but I just bought a 28K car with 12K miles on it and flawless and bone stock right down to the paper filter.

I understand your concerns, but you'll just have to trust us

You should consider yourself lucky that I replied to a TERMY thread :lol1:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread