question about panel in rear of car

bcwang

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I have some rattling coming from that plastic panel above the rear seats of the car, the one you can lean your head on if you were back there sitting. It seems the edges bounce and rub other pieces of plastic.

My question is, have any of you removed that piece and know if the bolts go into a nut behind there? I want to unscrew it to remove it, but if there is a nut in the back that will fall out after unscrewing it, I won't be able to get it back on since I can't even feel the back of the bolt from anywhere I can stick my finger.

Cobra03FLA

Titties & Beer!
Established Member
I replaced mine its real super easy just bolts no nuts. Took about 5minutes to change. MIne got all scratched up a hurricane blew out my back glass :cuss:

BLUBYU2

Established Member
Mine was doing the same thing. Took it to the dealer and they fixed it. A clip fell off and the panel was vibrating at "Highway speeds" :burnout:

To take the panel off is really easy I just figured that since it was under warranty I might as well have them fix it.

bcwang

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I wish I was as trusting of the dealer as you. I told myself not to go back there for anything I could take care of myself. Taking it in means worrying about 1. Them screwing up the job. 2. Them putting a tool mark somewhere in your car while working on it (happened to me) 3. Them possibly joyriding in the car.

I guess I'll be taking that apart this weekend. By the way, what clip is on that piece? It's not just screws holding it in?

bcwang

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I tried removing that panel yesterday. I got the three bolts off but the panel is still stuck on somehow. I pulled pretty hard on it but it didn't come off. I didn't want to break anything so I just left it. So anyone have an idea how to get that panel completely off?

Thanks!

Cobra03FLA

Titties & Beer!
Established Member
bcwang said:
I tried removing that panel yesterday. I got the three bolts off but the panel is still stuck on somehow. I pulled pretty hard on it but it didn't come off. I didn't want to break anything so I just left it. So anyone have an idea how to get that panel completely off?

Thanks!

Did you fold down the rear seats? Im sure theres more than three bolts. I remember putting the rear seats down when I replaced mine.

bcwang

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Cobra03FLA said:
Did you fold down the rear seats? Im sure theres more than three bolts. I remember putting the rear seats down when I replaced mine.

The three bolts I took out are the ones that you have to fold the rear seat down to access. Are there more that I'm not aware of?

Cobra03FLA

Titties & Beer!
Established Member
OK I got the info for you. Sorry about saying theres more than three bolts. I just went out and took mine off again. Just the three bolts and lift up theres some locating pins in the back if it doesnt pull up its probably some kind of tape on there . Make mine a bud please :beer:

bcwang

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Thanks, I'll go try to remove it again when I get the chance. When I failed to remove it, I took some black cloth and stuck it in between the panels to keep them from rubbing. It really quieted the car down a lot. Kind of an ugly solution cause if you look carefully you can see some cloth sticking out of the gaps.

bcwang

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Finally got this off (took a while to get to it, so busy with other things). There are 3 retaining clips underneath, I had to lay in there with a flashlight pointing up to see it. I squeezed it with pliers and pulled up and it worked. I guess if pull the panel hard enough the retaining pins should come through, but I was afraid of breaking something.

Well, after taking it off, I didn't find anything wrong. No excess plastic, nothing obviously wrong with it. Nothing obviously wrong underneath. I started banging parts of the car to see what was rattling. So I stuffed some cut up sweater fabric strips underneath the inside quarter panels so they wouldn't move. Then after putting this back piece back on, I put some more fabric strips where the sides are close to the quarter panels. I think this fixed all the rattles. Guess it was all just poor tolerances that added up to panels that bounced off each other when driving. Ah, life with a mustang.

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member
bcwang said:
I wish I was as trusting of the dealer as you. I told myself not to go back there for anything I could take care of myself. Taking it in means worrying about 1. Them screwing up the job. 2. Them putting a tool mark somewhere in your car while working on it (happened to me) 3. Them possibly joyriding in the car.

Dont forget the biggie...........Voiding my warranty :mj:

Users who are viewing this thread