Question about our windshields...

SkippyMcGee

Established Member
So I just had my garage replace my cracked windshield... I got the truck back and something just doesnt feel right.

I may just be a skeptical psycho, but I could swear that the windshield that was cracked was slightly different than the one that is now stuck in my baby.

At first, I was completely nuts and insisted that my old windshield didn't have a blue tint stripe (I checked some pictures and found out that indeed it did, and I was crazy). Now, I am feeling like the band of matte black tint dots was much larger on the old windshield.

Here is a picture right above my rearview. Is this normal/am I nuts? Or did the 2001 Lightning in fact have a unique windshield as compared to the rest of the f-150 line?

1124082230.jpg

I know the picture is terrible, if someone could post a better one of their truck that would help put my mind at ease.

FordFanStan

Established Member
There are cheap knock replacements out there, so when you replace it, you need to make sure you get a good Ford/Carlisle windshield. FFS

N A Rush

Established Member
I second that... use a Carlite.

Even then you still have to check for quality. Open the drivers door and stand the passenger door. Now look through the windshield toward the antenna area. You will see waves in the glass. The more waves the poorer the quality. You may even duck, bob, and weave to see it better. These waves will even induce eye fatigue on a moderate to long drive.

wigginwilly00

Another day in Paradise
Established Member
If you have a windshield with the blue stripe across the front then more than likely it has been replaced. Here's a pic of my original windshield with the crack before I replaced it. This windshield was quoted $450+ for the exact same replacement.
PA090639.jpg

Last edited:

SkippyMcGee

Established Member
no, its absolutly a ford. it has the stamp. i just dont know if L's had their own spec windshields

SkippyMcGee

Established Member
If you have a windshield with the blue stripe across the front then more than likely it has been replaced. Here's a pic of my original windshield with the crack before I replaced it. This windshield was quoted $450+ for the exact same replacement.
PA090639.jpg

so L's didnt have the blue stripe windshields from the factory???

my new one looks the same as yours where you took the pic of yours.

my dad's cousin owns the shop, charged me 275 for the part (he doesnt charge me for installation). like i said... it is a ford, just not sure if it is L-specific

04troublez

SUPERCARGADA
Established Member
PA090639.jpg

i have that same crack un my normal 00 f150 lariat. and it does have the blue strip

fuelonempty

حمدالله على نعمة العقل...
Established Member
there is a 99 L out here with the original windshield and it has the blueish green tint on the top..

DXBLIGHTNINGBOY

Established Member
Maybe this is one of those unsolved mysteries of the Ls.. like the little storage hole in the dash that some trucks had and didn't have at random.

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
I believe the only F150 that had a special windshield was the HD. Black dots were actually harley logos not just circles with anniversary logo in the lower middle. As for the Lightning, my old L, if I remember correctly and by looking at my old pics of it did not have a strpe on the top I don't think. I owned it since new and never had the windshield replaced. I think Ford just used random windshields.

Banned
The factory windshield didn't even come with tint of all things. The replacement one has enough tint to where I passed on the tint strip. Must be a something in Ontario, Canada...:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread