Question about one of the guns in Shooter

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
I don't recall if you can see the scope, but in the opening scene when he's shooting the R700, what scope does he use? Is it the same scope they put on scout sniper rifles? I wanna say Schmidt and Bender but I'm not positive.

Also, I was watching the extras on the DVD and they employed the head trainer from the US Scout Sniper Training School to help ensure Mark looked as much like a real sniper as he could. They made mention that he kept a notepad with all the shots the gun had ever fired. What information/statistics are kept in this and why do they do it?

Lastly, I plan on buying an R700 this spring. I think I'm finally a good enough marksman to make use of such a rifle. A majority of it's use will be at the range. Most likely no further than 800-900 yards (I think that's the largest within 300 miles of me) There's the R700 vtr, R700 and R770. What are the major differences between these three models? Which is best for range use? Also some advice on optics that won't break the bank would be great.

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
Wow guys, 91 of you clicked on this and none of you had anything to say? SVTP has been falling off lately. Apparently, gone are the days you can post a thread and have 12 responses in 10 minutes.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I'm not sure about the optics or difference between the different models.

The book will have the round used, time, wind conditions, distance, where the shot landed, elevation, etc. It's used so that if you know the distance/altitude/wind you can dial in your optics and make a good cold bore shot.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
just wait for txyloo or w/e his name is...he'll answer

im curious too....ive always wanted to do long distance target shooting

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Last I knew the Marines used the M-40A3 with a quick detach rail to mount different scopes/optics quicker.

McMillan stocks, Marine Armorers assemble each weapon. The book is used as a log, detailing what the rifle did, in what conditions, and how it performed among other things.

The scope normally used is a Unertl 10x.

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
Not that I remember which rifle/scope the OP is asking about, and it's Hollywood anyways so who knows if it actual a USGI tac scope, but I believe the Unertl contract ran out long ago, like 10+ years ago. OP, if you're looking for the best tac optics made in the USA today, completely made in the USA, go to US Optics; tac optics is 95% of what the do and they do it very, very well, especially if you want something custom like a one-off etched reticle. http://www.usoptics.com/

BTW, Not sure if it's still the record, may have changed, but the longest confirmed kill, 1.5 miles/2.5 kilometres, was scored a few years ago in the Afghan theater by a Canadian sniper using a McMillan TAC-50 and a US Optics SN-3 T-PAL scope.

EDIT For Link: http://www.macleans.ca/canada/national/article.jsp?content=20060515_126689_126689

Last edited:

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
I personally have a buddy who used a fixed 10x Leupold VariX III on his M40A3 in Iraq.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
BTW, Not sure if it's still the record, may have changed, but the longest confirmed kill, 1.5 miles/2.5 kilometres, was scored a few years ago in the Afghan theater by a Canadian sniper using a McMillan TAC-50 and a US Optics SN-3 T-PAL scope.

you kidding? this is SVTP. Everyone here could snipe someone with a desert Eagle from 2 miles away.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
forget the 770...the 700 and 700vtr a good to go

i sold a few 770s last year (like 6 i think) and each person came back and bitched about the action and consistancy in the rifle

apparenty none of them grouped for crap and the action is very loose and rough ( i have not shot one but i have also not heard one good thing about them)
My dad has the 700vtr and loves it, i've shot a few rounds though it and it shoots quite nicely

oh and i hate the stock on the 770 lol

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Not that I remember which rifle/scope the OP is asking about, and it's Hollywood anyways so who knows if it actual a USGI tac scope, but I believe the Unertl contract ran out long ago, like 10+ years ago. OP, if you're looking for the best tac optics made in the USA today, completely made in the USA, go to US Optics; tac optics is 95% of what the do and they do it very, very well, especially if you want something custom like a one-off etched reticle. http://www.usoptics.com/

EDIT For Link: 'We were abandoned' | Macleans.ca - Canada - Features

Every M-40 or McMillan I've held has either had a Unertl or Leupold so I'm not really sure about it. Although I do recall hearing that the Unertl contract did expire some time ago.

Every Marine SS I've talked to wished they could get their hands on some M-14s anyways lol.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
^ that new Savage M12 is a shootin sumbitch!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread