Question about my headlights

y2kpony

Established Member
I pulled the headlights out last weekend to clean under and behind them and to put in new silver star bulbs. I saw made in china stamped on the back of them. They look similar to stock but now don't believe they are. Do any of you guys know for sure that they are reps and if so what would you guys do. Leave it as is or get oe ford lights. If I were to get them replaced does anyone know where the best price is. I don't want to sound anal about it but I don't think I want rep parts on my car. Thanks.

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
There should be a tiny ford emblem stamped on the outside of the light. It will be close to the bottom. If it doesn't say ford, its aftermarket.

I bought an extra set of OEM headlights from Tousley Ford just to have in case something happened to my originals. They had the best price at the time but not sure if they still sale them.

Last edited:

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
I'm pretty sure if it says made in Chins they are not OEM. Do they have a Ford part number on them anywhere? If they look good I would leave them. You can always replace them later if they start to look like crap later.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
I second the Ford logo on the outside. I bought replacements since my OEM's we're showing signs of age. I bought them used in great condition from the market section for $150/pair. I too wanted to stick with Ford lights and not aftermarket.

cj428mach

Established Member
My car is a really low mileage car with mint headlights. I bought some clear bra material from Lamin-x and did my headlights and my fogs. I've heard great stuff about it and that it keeps your lights like brand new. As expensive as the oem's are getting it might be worth it for some to give it a try.

cj428mach

Established Member
When you state really low mileage, what is it at?

7600 now. The headlights are like new and the fogs just have a few tiny rock chips. After putting on the 40 mil laminx on the fogs you can't even notice the chips anymore on the fogs and they look great.

y2kpony

Established Member
if they are a ford original they will have a small ford emblem in the lower back corner. you can just see it in the picture in the link. we can get ford originals but you will see they are much more expensive than the aftermarket versions:

OEM:
2001-04 FORD MUSTANG OE HEADLIGHT

aftermarket:
2001-04 FORD MUSTANG TINTED HEADLIGHT KIT
I looked at the pics in the link and mine have the Ford oval at the end of the part number on the light. Mine reads SAE HR AIPP2 99SN then the ford oval. Can they put a ford oval emblem on replica parts legally?

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I know your pain. I found out after I bought my car it was in a tiny 5mph parking lot fender bender and has a aftermarket bumper and head light that are made in Ichiwan. My cars a fairly low mileage terminator at 30k miles. He fooled me when I bought at 12k miles, looked new to me. Since then I got my hands on a pair of OEM lights. OEM bumper is next. :rockon:

mhinchley

Established Member
I looked at the pics in the link and mine have the Ford oval at the end of the part number on the light. Mine reads SAE HR AIPP2 99SN then the ford oval. Can they put a ford oval emblem on replica parts legally?
Legal, not sure, but yes the can and do as I have ordered both Ford & GM aftermarkets in the past that had their name embossed on the lenses. Surprised me originally. Pretty sure the insignia is just a licensing thing like say the nfl logo on a hat made by reebok. Heck, Ford, GM, Chrysler do not even manufacture a good portion of 'oem' parts to begin with. Outsourcing is wonderful. I know my areospace employer's name is on lots of parts that we do not produce.
Place on ebay sells what they say are oem headlights for $117 a piece: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-FOR...004|Model:Mustang&hash=item51a1a3f68a&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

mhinchley

Established Member
if they are a ford original they will have a small ford emblem in the lower back corner. you can just see it in the picture in the link. we can get ford originals but you will see they are much more expensive than the aftermarket versions:

OEM:
2001-04 FORD MUSTANG OE HEADLIGHT

aftermarket:
2001-04 FORD MUSTANG TINTED HEADLIGHT KIT

It sure looks to me like I see the Ford oval on the aftermarket pair as well......right at the bottom of the reflector, closest to the fender. Am I seeing things?

y2kpony

Established Member
It looks like I have 2 choices. Keep the basically new looking lights that are made in china and im pretty sure aren't Ford or spend $300-$400 on Ford lights that look the same and don't say made in china on them. I even think my fogs are reps because they have no ford oval on them and say vallco on them. I'm the 4th owner of this car and just don't know the whole history like a lot of us. Thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread