Question about LS1 Mods...

badazzar15

Banned
This sound legit?

My Trans Am is LS1 based, the same LSx design in the new Camaro.

I ran my car, with a cam i purchased locally for $175 and put in myself with upgraded springs and rods. Tuned it myself, and for $175, i gained 65hp, to the wheels.

2 Nitrous solonoids, some line, a bottle with pressure gauge and heater, and a button mounted to the shifter, and a jet kit, and I was spraying 150, on a stock motor, with a cam, and spraying it into the 11's. high 10's on 28x10.5

I then bought a set of heads $1,300 heads, and a bigger cam, total cost: $1,600

9.90's first time out.

I had approx 50+ passes on my STOCK 90k mile LS1 motor with heads and cam, and sprayed the piss out of it, on and off the street.

LS1's hold up.

My current motor is a iron block LS block, all forged internals, im planning on going into the 8.50's this year. :) Mid season, swap over to a full blown turbo setup.

As for the new camaro... it's at 450hp NA... Ford had to add a blower just to keep up.

If GM made a blown version of the Camaro SS, at the same price ($50,000) It would eat that GT500 for lunch and snack on the rest of the Rustang lineup ;-)

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Did he say anything about the rear?
Why would he change the rods when he swapped the cam?
LSX motors love the spray but he seems like he's talking out of his ass a little. $175 for cam, springs, rods, gaskets, oil, filter, antifreeze, etc seems like bull.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
His rear end and tranny are def on borrowed time. Plus the reason he is now running an iron block is he blew the bottom end out of his stocker. He also didn't mention the fuel upgrades or suspension upgrades- no way did he go into the 9's on stock suspension.

Not saying the LSX line is a bad motor......but it def has it's limits. He's full of crap or he's not telling you all of his mods.

BigSweezey

<insert witty title here>
Established Member
H/C and and 150 shot? that's it and he ran a 9.9? Hell no. I'm no GM guy but I've seen enough run that if that's all that was needed I know a few people that would have been in the 8's.
And yeah...GM's are known for their 9 sec capable rear-ends. lol

Edit: Wait are we talking in the 1000ft? That sounds more likely, but I don't even know what the conversion would be to the 1/4.

Last edited:

Satyr

Established Member
It's plausible with those mods...it just is unlikely to have cost so little.
But, like I said, it is very plausible that a H/C/nitrous LS1 with slicks and a good driver can hit the 9's. First time out? Probably not...and the rear on those cars is...well...shit.

Aside from that, guy sounds like a huge tool.

Satyr

Established Member
H/C and and 150 shot? that's it and he ran a 9.9? Hell no. I'm no GM guy but I've seen enough run that if that's all that was needed I know a few people that would have been in the 8's.

Take into account the driver mod. Hell, there's a ported eaton cobra with an auto and SRA with beefed up suspension that's almost in the 9's with less hp than that ls1 is probably making.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
There have been quite a few guys hit high 9's on the stock bottom end. They're cutting 1.3x 60fts though.

badazzar15

Banned
My Response to him:

What kind of Fuel system are you running? Suspension upgrades? Rear end? Those are some real nice times man. Was this 1000ft track or 1320ft?

Response:
It's all EFI. 99 WS6

Obviously a bigger fuel line/stronger pumps, both in tank and in line.

Plus a seperate fuel tank for the nitrous in the front .

Full suspension, mostly Spohn adjustable stuff, with STRANGE Adjustable shocks and springs.

Rear end is a STRANGE Dana 60 with 3.90 gears.

Considering changing to a Ford 9 inch with removable center section so I can run all motor and power adder classes, but dont like ford stuff, and dont really know if it's worth the money to compete.

oh and 1,320, classic 1/4 :)

YouTube - MIRDrag10-07

Oh, I raced an evo once... it wasnt pretty. for him :) His GF was pissed when he bet his rent money.....bought me and my crew dinner at red lobster that night. great fun :)

Another response by him:
im actually certified to go 7.999

I like the Dana 60, it's stronger then the 12 bolt, and even the 9 inch, only reason i was considering it, is the ability to remove the center section at the track in 15 minutes.

fastest ive been is 8.86 @ 156mph

Last edited:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
This sound legit?

friend of mine had a LS6, before it was rebuilt as a 422 they threw at 150 shot on it.. the engine proceeded to pretend it was a Hand Grenade and the block had air conditioning from pistons letting go.. so.. IMHO it's possible for a 150 shot to get there, but is it safe, NO not at all.. it's no safer than doing the same thing to any engine not designed to handle that type of power.. your on a wing and a prayer and sooner or later it WILL let go..

badazzar15

Banned
And another thing he said. Claims he ran 8.86 @ 156 MPH with these mods:

8.86 with:

LQ9 Iron Block at 402ci

Lunati bottom end

Trickflow heads

Custom cam

2 stage direct port nitrous system

4L80 Automatic Trans (I go off the foot brake)

Full suspension

Dana 60 rear with 3.90 gears

Obviously theres alot more into it, but you get the drift.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Supporting mods are assumed, same as with here - "My Cobra with a Whipple makes 650whp." Yeah, the Whipple does most of everything, but it's just assumed that there is an intake, MAF, GT pumps, etc. etc.

It takes a lot of little stuff (That adds up rather quick, I might add) to make the big stuff work.

Satyr

Established Member
Okay...so this guy went from having 1500 invested to having a built suspension and lunati bottom end?

What am I missing here?

carnut101

Established Member
Everyone needs to stop hating on the LS motors. I run high 7s with a cold air intake and tune. My buddy's editing the video as we speak if you don't believe me. I'll post it tomorrow.... or maybe next month.

DARK GEARS

Banned
friend of mine had a LS6, before it was rebuilt as a 422 they threw at 150 shot on it.. the engine proceeded to pretend it was a Hand Grenade and the block had air conditioning from pistons letting go.. so.. IMHO it's possible for a 150 shot to get there, but is it safe, NO not at all.. it's no safer than doing the same thing to any engine not designed to handle that type of power.. your on a wing and a prayer and sooner or later it WILL let go..

It's quite safe if the car is tuned. One of my friends has a bolt on LS1. All he has is slp headers, stock lid, ory, magnaflow muffler, 150 shot, BFG DR's and he managed to beat a mid 11 C6 on the street. IMO that car has a possible mid 11 in it. LS1's are no joke when modded properly.

His brother in law had an 06 GTO with magnaflows, xpipe, intake, and a 150 shot running 11.8 on Nitto drag radials. LOL.

ZincGT

Banned
Good God talk about people here not knowing LSx engines.

Of course they are stout engines with gobs of potential.....but THAT particular guy is bullshitting like there's no tomorrow.

Jroc

Established Member
IDK the answer to the question, but post a link to the thread. The guy sounds pretty arrogant with his opinions about Ford. The "Ford needs a SC" arguement is really stupid, and played out. Ofcouse it does, its a Honda motor smaller(and we all know how fast they are) with a small bore size. Fords not going to develop a new series of motor every two or three years. That would be like a Mach 1 owner telling a MKIV owner "your car needs turbo's to run with me so that means it sucks!" I'm sure most Turbo MKIV owners love the fact that their cars are turbocharged. Fords got several new V8 soon to be released so only time will tell if they still need a power adder to make competitve HP.

Also his confidence in a new Camaro Z28 eating a new GT500 for lunch seems a little misplaced. Sure it may be a better performance car, IDK, but it would also more than likely be a 4,150+ lb car, and from most things I've read the auto journalist seem to prefer the performance of the new Mustangs chassis when compared to the new Camaro's chassis. :shrug:

DARK GEARS

Banned
There has been cam only cars in the 10's.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKAo7FRk-Ro"]YouTube - Cam only ls1 230/230...11-23-08, 10.83 10 second[/ame]

This is a 6 speed with cam and nitrous

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuLwJG5yEKk"]YouTube - Blue99fbody 1/4 mile pass[/ame]

It's possible but I don't know how legit that guy really is. His car must be dialed in just right IMO. His story seems a little inconsistent though.

aram ran a 9.9 in an LS1 RX7 with a small heads and cam package and a 150 shot. The FC is a light car compared to the Camaro. So I dunno, his story has me thinking it's possible, but I don't think he actually did it.

Users who are viewing this thread