Question about licensing.

94venomV8

Established Member
Hey guys, I hope this subject is ok in here. I have a off the wall story/question about laws and what can legally be done with my situation. Here it goes:

So lately my wife has been helping her grandma work during her off hours from practicing. she does it for about 3 hours a day on average of 3 times a week, they drive to businesses and clean businesses when they are closed as well as some peoples houses. Anyway her grandma was diagnosed with Alzheimer's about 6 months ago, she is a danger to everyone on the road and is too stubborn to give up the keys and freaks out and refuses to let anyone else drive her. My wife has taken the keys and her grandma called the police and said she was trying to steal her car. Anyway its a daily occurrence that I hear how she about killed them as well as others on the road from stupid stuff she doesn't even realize she does. Today was the last straw for me, she stopped at a red light turning only lane, treated it as a 4 way stop and go and just started turning with on coming traffic which had to skid to a stop in order to not hit them. Her grandma then blames them saying they are idiots and doesn't realize its her problem. This stuff happens everyday, she almost killed a motorcycle rider last week. So, to backtrack, my wife has contacted her doctor about a month and a half ago and her doctor had the DOT take her license and give her a temp license until she could legally pass the driving and written test again. Needless to say I hear last week she finally passed the written test in which she had one month to pass. She took the test everyday in which she failed, then all the sudden passes. Later on my wife tells me how she was bragging about how she passed the last test, the DOT lady was standing with her as she took it basically feeding her answers, when she would pick a wrong one she said the lady was like "are you sure you don't want to re-read that one?" Anyway she got her license back. I am furious as she will not keep getting lucky and will seriously injure others or my wife. What actions can I take, not only for her to not drive but for the DOT lady who just put other families at risk with her unethical actions. Sorry for the long story but Im desperate for help. Thanks guys

Last edited:

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
If you have firsthand knowledge of the employee "feeding" her answers I would request to speak with a supervisor at the Office. Explain the situation to him/her in full detail as you did here and ask what course of action they will take to ensure the examination process guidelines are adhered to.

Does she not have to take an actual "driving" portion to the test?

Misquamarauder

Established Member
My wife had to get power of attorney over her Mom, who also has the Alzheimer's. That was the only legal re-course to seizing and selling her car, which was the only way to assure she was off the roads. We pulled the battery, but many garages will come out and replace it if called and asked. AAA will deliver gasoline. It's a horrible disease, especially for those around who can watch the slow but steady demise of a loved one. Good luck to you and I'll say a little prayer for you and Grandma.

94venomV8

Established Member
Thanks guys, I don't know of a way I could disable the car, honestly like people said above they would just have it fixed within a day. I may check into that power of attorney as suggested above. The thing is her grandma has lots of money and a simple unhooking of battery, relay or whatever else would not stop her from driving, she also has multiple cars she could take. I would disable the relay in a heartbeat if I thought it would make a difference. I just know she will call and have it fixed that day.

svtcop: yes she did have to take a driving test but they literally made her drive around the block, and it was through residential neighborhoods where there wasn't really traffic nor a lot of things to think about. Around here the driving test might take 10 min at most. As for the worker at the DOT, I dug into it a little more, I heard her say right to my wife the situation however I don't know what worker it was, and I'm betting my bank account even if my wife were to bring her in she wouldn't remember to pick her out anyway.

As of right now my wife and I our trying to get her Doctor to do testing to verify that she is not healthy enough to be on the road and a danger to the public which I am hoping will lead to an immediate revocation of her license but IDK. knowing her grandma, she would just drive anyway without a license, her grandma honestly doesn't care anymore, she is becoming not only senile and angry off and on within minutes of each other but losing her memory more and more each day. Im hoping and praying something happens before she seriously injures someone.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
It wouldn't hurt to try the things people who have been in your shoes suggested.

If it keeps her off the road today your goal was accomplished today.

94venomV8

Established Member
It wouldn't hurt to try the things people who have been in your shoes suggested.

If it keeps her off the road today your goal was accomplished today.

I hear you, but like I said she has a brand new f150 that she keeps in a storage garage on her property, I can't get into it and she would just go take that if I disabled her van. It sucks but we are trying as hard as we can talking with her doctor as well as trying to go through the DOT to see if there is anything they can do.

Users who are viewing this thread