Question about license plates

Joester08

Established Member
I know in TX you have to have 2 plates one in front, and one in back. The only thing is I dont want to drill holes or put the ugly ass adapter on the snake for the front plate. Is it illegal or a issue to have the plate in the windshield or on the dash?
:rockon:

Joester08

Established Member
I would like to register it in texas, but the snake will be in kansas being that im in the military. How much of a ticket am I lookin at? Cash wise?

NEp8ntballer

Established Member
I'm AD in CA with NE plates on my car. I got a fix it ticket from the MPs for not having a front plate on it since NE requires two. Zero points/no money. Unless it's a border state most LEOs won't know. Some of them carry around a cheat sheet with the plate display requirements.

Also, read up on the registration/plate display laws. CA and NE both fail to specify were the plate has to be mounted. NE states that it must be prominently displayed and securely fastened while CA decided to state that it must be at least XX inches above the ground while not being greater than XX inches above the ground and I think they might have also specified the front of the vehicle which would mean that the bumper is your only option.

In my experience as long as you drive the speed limit the off base police will leave you alone. Bored gate guards are a different story.

Joester08

Established Member
Walk in their shoes? They dont even walk big guy. They sit at the gate and harass people. And most of them are civilians any ways. Civilians arent the bad ones, its the POG MP's

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Walk in their shoes? They dont even walk big guy. They sit at the gate and harass people. And most of them are civilians any ways. Civilians arent the bad ones, its the POG MP's

seeing as how disrepectful you are, I am betting that you haven't been in the miitary very long.

but I will help you out anyway. Texas used to just say "to the front of the vehicle" which meant license plate in the windshield, while not a good idea was enough for most LEOs. a state judge ruled last year that the wording meant it had to be on the front bumper. The current law says bumper but gives no fine for an infraction. they are probably going to change that this year. We are hoping that they will eliminate the front plate all together but no one is banking on it.

I have run my Cobras with no front plate since I got to texas in 1998 and have only been stopped once and did not get a ticket. if you run without one you are giving the Police a reason to stop you, so don't bitch about it if they do.

Joester08

Established Member
Just to let you know I have been in the army for a while now, so you might wanna check on your local buddys you call gate guards. Thanks for the info

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Just to let you know I have been in the army for a while now, so you might wanna check on your local buddys you call gate guards. Thanks for the info
yeah .. like I said your disrespect to other people doing their job in the military and /or the civilians that are there is telling.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member

NEp8ntballer

Established Member
yeah .. like I said your disrespect to other people doing their job in the military and /or the civilians that are there is telling.
Some MOS look down upon other MOS. Infantry hates POGs, MX hates everybody that doesn't turn wrenches, nobody likes MPF and Finance, and Ammo is all about the circle jerk because, "if you aint ammo, you aint shit"

it's a waste of time and resources to stop people for not having a front plate. There isn't a fine associated with it on base and it fails to improve motor vehicle safety which is the purported purpose of AFI 31-218. and if it's the gate guard their primary duty is to ensure the safety of the installation and when you're busy writing me a fix it ticket you aren't being very vigilant toward approaching possible threats.

It's really unfortunate. The Fiscal Note shows just how much the State would save if they pass this bill.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/83R/fiscalnotes/pdf/HB00657I.pdf#navpanes=0

or they could still charge the same to help drive up revenue. to get personalized plates in NE is 50 bucks OR you can get a specialty plate if your vehicle meets the criteria. It's also 50 bucks but it drops the number of plates issued from two to one and you can still display a personal message

Last edited:

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
and if it's the gate guard their primary duty is to ensure the safety of the installation and when you're busy writing me a fix it ticket you aren't being very vigilant toward approaching possible threats.

Perhaps you should view their position description and SOP's... It might contain something about enforcing certain laws, rules, etc.

or they could still charge the same to help drive up revenue. to get personalized plates in NE is 50 bucks OR you can get a specialty plate if your vehicle meets the criteria. It's also 50 bucks but it drops the number of plates issued from two to one and you can still display a personal message[/QUOTE]

NEp8ntballer

Established Member
Perhaps you should view their position description and SOP's... It might contain something about enforcing certain laws, rules, etc.

they could just as easily sit there with a radar gun and hit people entering and leaving base going 15-20 in a 10 mph zone which would improve safety and be a violation that would cause a point or two...

Last edited:

BlownAway05

Established Member
At least you Texas guys have those badass black license plates.
auto_LoneStarBlack.png

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Some MOS look down upon other MOS. Infantry hates POGs, MX hates everybody that doesn't turn wrenches, nobody likes MPF and Finance, and Ammo is all about the circle jerk because, "if you aint ammo, you aint shit"
Yeah I am well aware of how some MOS's disrespect other people in the service. Frankly I find it disgusting and a sign of someone with a decided lack of maturity, in units with piss poor leadership. I have 8 years in iraq and am 3 months into at least 1 year in afghanistan. I have taken people to task on this forum and I have taken people to task in Iraq for this attitude. it is the so called "pogs" that give the infantry a hot shower when they get back on base and chow hall food 2 or 3 times a day so they don't have to eat MREs, it is also the "pogs" that give them internet and computer services when they are on base and keeps their tatictal coms up when they are off base. It would seem to me that the "Pogs' could do very well without the infantry than the other way around. Most of the "pogs" I know can shoot as well as any infantry outside of maybe sniper teams.
it's a waste of time and resources to stop people for not having a front plate. There isn't a fine associated with it on base and it fails to improve motor vehicle safety which is the purported purpose of AFI 31-218. and if it's the gate guard their primary duty is to ensure the safety of the installation and when you're busy writing me a fix it ticket you aren't being very vigilant toward approaching possible threats.
if gate guards were solitary posts I might agree with this but they aren't. and while I kind of agree that they have other things that they can do that may be perceived as "better", they are doing their job, and whether you think so or not if they are within the scope of their job it is no concern of yours what they do with their time.

but since this isn't the military forum I will just leave it at that.

Users who are viewing this thread