Question about headers and tune

roushstage2

Established Member
I have purchased a set of BBK headers and catted h-pipe for my 03 cobra. The cobra is completely stock except for cat-back and CAI. I will be getting the blower ported along with upper and lower pulley and all supporting mods in about a month and a half. My question is if I go ahead and get the headers installed, will I need to get a dyno tune or will I be alright until I get the ported supercharger installed and get a tune for everything all at once? I know headers dont give a whole lot of gain, but I have already purchased them and love the sound that headers give.

So I would appreciate your opinions of weither I sould just wait and get the headers installed along with everything else, and get a tune then. Or would I be alright to go ahead and install the headers now and get a tune in about a month or so.

MystichromeVert

Established Member
If I were you I would wait and get one tune for everything because I don't like to pay for the same thing twice... but thats just me.

When I did long tubes on my car, I did not need a tune. At WOT, the A/F ratio was the same as it was completely stock. However, the car does run a little richer at idle until the o2 sensors get some heat in them (it takes longer for them to warm up since they are further from the combustion chamber)... after a minute or two, everything is normal.

If you decide to go ahead with the header install, I would at least check your A/F afterwards since you already have a CAI installed. I've heard the combination of these two mods may require a tune.

Seabiscuit

GIDDY-UP!!!
Established Member
MystichromeVert said:
If I were you I would wait and get one tune for everything because I don't like to pay for the same thing twice... but thats just me.

When I did long tubes on my car, I did not need a tune. At WOT, the A/F ratio was the same as it was completely stock. However, the car does run a little richer at idle until the o2 sensors get some heat in them (it takes longer for them to warm up since they are further from the combustion chamber)... after a minute or two, everything is normal.

If you decide to go ahead with the header install, I would at least check your A/F afterwards since you already have a CAI installed. I've heard the combination of these two mods may require a tune.

I would second that--esp. what was said about getting your A/F ratio checked.

Fast Willy

Established Member
You'll be alright without a tune seeing that your going to be one in about another month. Why don't you just wait to put it all on at once?

roushstage2

Established Member
SCMod46 said:
You'll be alright without a tune seeing that your going to be one in about another month. Why don't you just wait to put it all on at once?

I could wait for the tune. Right now I'm just getting all the mods together for the ported blower. Then I will be installing all at once myself, then I plan to get a custom dyno tune at amazon racing. But the one thing I will not install myself is the headers so I thought if the A/F would stay the same I could go ahead and get those installed then get a tune in a month or so once everything else has been added.

Users who are viewing this thread