question about genetics

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
So this is a faith based belief? I honestly don't understand. There is no debate about this in the scientific community. Historically, organisms change over time because they produce gametes that are quite variable and not exact genetic copies of the parent organism, and offspring produced which have traits favorable to survival are more likely to live to reach sexual maturity and procreate. Not because the parent organism lives a healthy lifestyle and thus alters its genetic code.

I realize people believe lots of things. Someone might believe the earth is flat because it makes sense to them, but it doesn't make it correct.

No, definitely not faith based. Actually, it's evolution based. You are even using my point in your previous argument. Organisms do change over time, whether it be a lifestyle choice, environmental factor, for survival, vanity or procreation these decisions produce the tiny variances in the code which over time alter genetics.

Denying this would be to deny evolution itself.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
Tbh, I've always wondered this too. Now, I'm not sure how well the child of guitar players would be at playing a guitar but I do know that physique is something inherited. Many pro athletes have parents who were physically gifted (Floyd Mayweathers, Ken Nortons, etc)

But when it comes to mental conditioning and how easy it is to learn, I have no idea. I wanna say Laila Ali is a great boxer because learning to box was somehow easier for her. Also, I'm convinced that while a child of two guitarist might not be skilled or even interested in music, that 4 generations of guitar playing masters may lead to the 5th generation having a slight edge over his/her great-great grandparents as well as his/her peers. It might be just slightly easier for him to learn the complexities. Or maybe not but I think this is adapting to your environment in a way. Many people who learn those types of things put a great deal of importance in it...:shrug:

Satyr

Established Member
This would fall under what's considered multifactorial inheritance, which is still a hotly debated topic. However, its premise suggests that environmental factors help to influence/build our genetic code. It's not that it necessarily is changing or creating new code, but these external factors are theorized to amplify/elicit certain segments of code that may result in things like acquired skills, height, weight, etc. Again, this is a very modern topic and may or may not be accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread