Question. About Gearing,

ShakeNBake

Established Member
So I've been trolling youtube for a little now. And noticed everytime a 500 races a LS3/Z06 it always pulls in 3/4th Gear Some Video.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08WFGcPTHNc"]YouTube - Corvette Z06 vs Shelby GT500 Race 2[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0dmFEBhfh4&feature=related"]YouTube - Corvette Z06 vs Shelby GT500 Race 3[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsoN157-M00"]YouTube - Lankhoss' C6 Z06 Vs. KB '07 Shelby GT 500[/nomedia]

Now i know what most of you are going to say that the difference in weight and aerodynamics etc, plays the roll but i was think about something different.

Gearing if you notice in all those videos the GT500 is always shifting! it takes "According to youtube" 770rwhp to beat a stock Z06 that's pathetic if you ask me [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY3ghkFGLu8&feature=related"]YouTube - 770whp 2010 gt500 Vs. C6 Zo6[/nomedia]

My question to you's is what gearing ratio is in the z06 and has anyone attempted to run it in a GT500?

don't take this offensive guys i absolutely love my GT500 and will always just food for thought.

DMotorsports

Established Member
Z06 final drive ratio is 3.42:1. This isn't an issue of gearing. It's an apples to oranges comparison. The Z06 is simply lighter and more aerodynamic. It takes a lot of horsepower to overcome the difference.

Last edited:

SicShelby09

Banned
Get some 4.10 gear, and a atleast 150 more rwhp and you may have a shot to pull one to 160mph. After that you are toast no matter what you do.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Race #2 and #3 - install a pulley (and good tune) on the GT500 to compensate for the added weight of the Shelby. I don't think 3.73 gears installed alone would make up for that.

Last Video - Without more information on current mods on that Shelby, who's to say.

It could have been severely heat soaked, didn't have an upgraded HE, or still had stock 3.31 gears.

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
cliff notes.....

recipe to beat a C6Z.....

you need 150whp more than the z, very sticky tires (spin = lose), and you better know how to drive your car. Your best bet is to go from a dig at a dragstrip with good prep. if you are ahead of the Z at the top of your 4th gear, quickly hit your brakes and declare your victory......dont let him get into 4th gear, cause that's where it gets ugly. :nonono:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
now way you need 770 to take a Z06. a 300 HP advantage is way more than what is need to make up the 800ish pounds different.

as to gearing, the Zs gears are longer and the Z will shift less then a GT500. the Z can go to 127 in 3rd that's already in 4th for most of us.

CRAWDAD

Established Member
If you need 770hp, you can't dirve!

Like I said in my earlier post, I can beat him. Where's he at?

I only make 530 at the wheels (look at my sig). Not worried! Just sayin!

bull3441

Established Member
upper/lower 3.73's and DR's. now try and find a stock C6Z with an owner younger than 60.

ShakeNBake

Established Member
How do you think the outcome would be if you were to add.

2011 GT500 SVT Pkg W/ 3.42's vs a bone stock c6z? would the weight and aerodynamics still play that large of a roll? of course they are going to be revving faster then us because of the weight difference. You think it would make any difference?

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
1/4 mile is mid-upper 11's for a stock z06. Keep him to 1/4 mile and it should be very close with very little mods.

Depends on the driver. They have seen 10s stock to the run flats with a handful of drivers.

bull3441

Established Member
How do you think the outcome would be if you were to add.

2011 GT500 SVT Pkg W/ 3.42's vs a bone stock c6z? would the weight and aerodynamics still play that large of a roll? of course they are going to be revving faster then us because of the weight difference. You think it would make any difference?

we need the gearing to get the hit. 3.42's would make it worse. i have 3.73's and if i were to do it again i'd go 4.10's with a 28" tire. suspension is a factor as well. adjustable dampers help a lot with weight transfer. the svtpp pack blows, and is a waste of $. please don't be offended as i see you ordered the svtpp. just the $4k for the pack isn't worth the return.

Last edited:

ShakeNBake

Established Member
we need the gearing to get the hit. 3.42's would make it worse. i have 3.73's and if i were to do it again i'd go 4.10's with a 28" tire. suspension is a factor as well. adjustable dampers help a lot with weight transfer. the svtpp pack blows, and is a waste of $. please don't be offended as i see you ordered the svtpp. just the $4k for the pack isn't worth the return.

You know i was thinking the same the second i orderd the svtpp. but i told my self i love the wheels and the idea of the aluminum block from the factory. I've been saying since late 06 that if ford will put aluminum block in the gt500 that shi* will fly.

AlCaPwn

Established Member
Yeah I think I am gonna go 4.10s in a couple weeks and run my 27" tires until they are dead and move up to 28"s then. Or run 2 different sets.

Users who are viewing this thread