Question about exhaust??

1slosnake

10 second pilot
Established Member
Hey guys I have a quick question for you guys running headers and off road Y pipes. I have a friend that has a 00 SVTC that had the first cat plugged up. So he took it off and hollowed out that cat and already chopped off the other cats. My question is do you guys run the MIL's eliminators too? For those of you who don't know what they, are you plug them into the rear 02 sensors and it simulates that everything is fine even tho the cats ain't there :) I am pretty sure you do because otherwise the check engine light would be on but I just want to double check. His car from what he said just doesn't feel like it has the power. I already asked him about the IMRCs if they were coming on but HE SWEARS they are. I had that problem with my 98 SVTC but he is bringing it over sometime this week so I can look at it. So I will find out and let you guys know but any help would be appreciated on the exhasust.

Thanks

Last edited:

whitelx

Established Member
Did he hollow out the pre-cat material inside the exhaust manifolds or just gut the main cat? If he just gutted the main cat then the precat material inside the exhaust manifolds are clogged. Here is a great how-to for gutting them while still on the car. Lots of guys will say not to do it while on the car but if you are careful many have been successful. Mine are clogged right now and there is a big difference in power. But my headers are on the way so Im happy. :rockon:
-whitelx

Blackcoog

3L Contour swap Guru
Established Member
I run my custom MIL's with my headers. I had gutted cats before and barely noticed any gain. Tell him to get headers they are definately worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread