Question about DUIs.

5point0guy

Established Member
Last night I got a DUI. Yes, I know I was stupid and I take full responsibility for it and I know I'll never do it again. I have a few questions, though. The officer said I rolled through a stop sign and I also recieved a DUI. I agreed to do the breathalyzer right there and blew a .09. I was cuffed and taken to a holding cell for the night and was let go at 8am. This is my first offense, I have a clean driving record and clean background. I've had my license since I was 16 (21 now). I'm just wondering what I should expect as punishment. Is it a sure thing I'm going to get my license taken away? What's the cost of the DUI and stop sign violation going to be? Will I get points on my license? And wil it stay on my record?

Also, the officer who arrested me took my license, registration, and insurance card, and I didn't get them back. I understand taking my license but what about the others? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Immediately consult with a well qualified D.U.I./Traffic Attorney who practices in the court where it will be heard.

First DUI Penalty said:
California Criminal Status: Non-injury DUIs generally misdemeanors. DUIs that result in bodily injury may be elevated to felony status, depending on the circumstances.

Jail: 48 hours, but not more than 6 months.

California DUI Fines/Costs: $390-$1,000 plus penalty assessments.

California License Suspension: 4 months suspension; restored after 30 days upon showing of hardship. 1 year suspension if under 21.

Ignition Interlock Device: Court may order use of interlock device.

Vehicle Impound: Court may order impoundment.

California DUI School: Mandatory alcohol education if under 21. Possible first offender school for 3-6 months, depending on BAC level.

California Probation: 3 years informal – no probation officer.

Community Service: In some courts, you may work off some of your fees/costs by doing community service.

Quik Z06

Established Member
^ That's good info. I actually had a friend that got a DUI not too long ago and he ended up having to do like 6 month's of classes. I would guess your fine is going to be close to $1K and of course you will get point's on your licence (possibly 2) but im not sure about the 2 points. Normal tickets points last 3 years, DUI may be longer, im sure someone knows.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
The license suspension is seperate from the DUI, since it is carried out by DMV under their rules. Your license will be held for the first 30 days and you should have been issued a temporary replacement by the officer. You will need to get to DMV quickly to set in motion a hearing to see if you can obtain a restricted license for the following four months under the hardship exception - i.e., abilityt o drive to/from work and/or in the scope of your employment. It is not a given, so be prepared to have your license suspended for four months.

My guess is your reg and insurance papers were left in the vehicle when it was stored.

If convicted, you will have a misdemeanor on your record as a lifetime reminder of why you don't want a second one............It will eventually drop off your DMV record; not your permanent criminal history. Also it is a two point hit on your DMV. Hopefully your employment does not require a clean DMV, some employers terminate employees who are convicted of a DUI and they drive company vehicles.

Otherwise, there are hidden costs, attorney fees, even if you go with the public defender the court will allow him/her to collect a reasonable fee based on your ability to pay.

DUI's are a pain the ass; just make sure you get legal counsel; follow their advice and do not miss any payments or fail to do the community service, classes, etc. and you will survive and outlive the damage. Good Luck !!

Users who are viewing this thread