Question about DR's and launching.

prowlnviper

Established Member
He guys. I just got a set of Nitto 315 DR's for my 96 Cobra. I went to the track last night and they spun more then any other tire I have used. Some guys at the track were telling me that I needed to do a massive burnout to get them sticky. Others said that I should only run 17lbs in the tires. I don't have a clue. I do know that they were hooking much better at 28lbs then when I tried 19lbs. I would like to know how much of a burnout is needed, what psi they should be and what RPM are you launching at?

Thanks
John

Last edited:

mystic1219

Established Member
i used to let mine down to about 20psi, do a good burnout, not tire shreading, but enuogh to heat them pretty good. You can still spin the nittos pretty easy if you really launch hard. I would still slip the clutch some only launching at 3-4k. I just had 245s though

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Nittolaunch.gif

^^^ 1.74 60ft

15-16psi hot. 5-7 sec burnout. Quickly stage and a quick feather/dump.

Nittos hook for what they are. -Mark

prowlnviper

Established Member
Last night they felt like they were on Ice! I need to learn how to launch better or something. I am beating up my car and she is not giving me what I want. And what I want is not unreasonable. It has an off road H-pipe, WMS Cold Air intake, MGW short shifter, 4.10 gears, and 315 Nitto DRs. I have not broken into the 13's yet. Please don't say Driver error because I already know that.

1996_Snake

Built and Blown
Established Member
prowlnviper said:
Last night they felt like they were on Ice! I need to learn how to launch better or something. I am beating up my car and she is not giving me what I want. And what I want is not unreasonable. It has an off road H-pipe, WMS Cold Air intake, MGW short shifter, 4.10 gears, and 315 Nitto DRs. I have not broken into the 13's yet. Please don't say Driver error because I already know that.

Dont feel bad.

I could not break into the 13's last year no matter what. best i got was a 14.2 with a 1.8-1.7 60FT. with 4:10 and STS. that was even on a DR. it still spun, with good burn outs. but i could feel a nice pull.:D

Bullseye96

underestimated SVT
Established Member
I found that with my BFG DRs that they actually stuck better with 32# vs 22-#. I launch around 2300-2600rpms and then WOT with about 1-2 revolutions of spin. Also sometimes the water that your front tires carry might be affecting your traction. try driving around the water box and backing in. also after the burnout try a dry chirp.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
1996_Snake said:
Dont feel bad.

I could not break into the 13's last year no matter what. best i got was a 14.2 with a 1.8-1.7 60FT. with 4:10 and STS. that was even on a DR. it still spun, with good burn outs. but i could feel a nice pull.:D
Wow, I havent drag raced my Cobra yet...but from what I have seen on here a 1.7 60ft is pretty good. How did you not break into the 13s.

LILBLKSNAKE

Village Idiot
Established Member
I've been all over the friggin map with the car this year. With 4.30's, BFG DR's and Hotchkiss control arms, my best was a 13.4@103 with a 1.8 60'

I had the tires down to 15lbs, with 40lbs in the fronts. My BFG's seem to hook better with just a quick spin 4-5 seconds as someone else already said.

I've been trying to slip out of the hole at 4,000, but it doesn't seem to be working, as my 60's fell to high 1.9's.

prowlnviper

Established Member
Thanks guys. I feel better knowing that I am not in this alone. I just want to improve so bad. I will keep trying and I know that as the car sits it has 13's in it. Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice Practice !

1996_Snake

Built and Blown
Established Member
97WHITEVENOM said:
Wow, I havent drag raced my Cobra yet...but from what I have seen on here a 1.7 60ft is pretty good. How did you not break into the 13s.
well the track we go to is far from quality. they barley use any traction compound.

there are a couple tracks a few hours away, and most will say there is one second difference between our track and the good ones.

but i hit 13.6 tonight on street tires (2.3 60ft) and my new setup.:shrug:

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I ran a 14.1 @ 104.7 MPH with a 2.208 60ft my very first time at the track. I bogged cause I didn't want to spin. How do you think I feel!! My car is mid 13's with that trap time.

Edit: This was in 90+ degree heat

Last edited:

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Quick96Mystic said:
WOW nice launch!! Are you running a torque arm?

Nope. In that pic I disconnected the front sway bar and took it off. The key to launching nittos is a quick slip release of the clutch. Keep the rpms up. I think I was launching at 5k in that pic if I remember correctly. -Mark

Users who are viewing this thread