Question about driving a manual tranny.

Metalbassist03

Corvette Junkie
Established Member
Okay here is the scoop. Today I got to drive a really incredible car, the Mustang Mach 1. It was BRAND new (2004) and we had to take it back to the dealer; however, due to my lack of skill on the stick, my experience wasn't all it "could" of been.

When I say could, I mean when I upshift/downshift, I noticed when I shifted up the car jerked and one time I shifted down and the tires schreeched kind of. These were all accidental and I feel really stupid for doing them..

Can someone tell me how to properly upshift/downshift a car (any car) and how to do a decently quick launch (making turns into traffic) with a manual?

Oh by the way... MACH 1s ROCK :rockon: :rockon:

Taylor04

**** it, Run it!
Established Member
Oh by the way... MACH 1s ROCK

First off, very true!:)

Yeah, it seems your just letting the clutch out too quickly. This is my first stick car too, I'm telling you, it just takes experience and time. For me I was horrible at first, but only after 3 months and it being a daily driver, I am very used to it. What helped me best was just going slow, shift slow, push the clutch in and out slow. I learned its all about timing, gotta do them at the same time. Anyways, have fun with it:rockon: :beer: :thumbsup:

gyacopetti

Super Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
See above and the best way to perfect your manual skills is by driving and just getting a feel for it. You'll know the exact RPMS to up/down shift the more you drive.

practice practice practice, lol

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
let it out slow... so the clutch can catch. when you get better at it, maybe you can start rev matching it.. till then, let it out SLOW until you get the hang of it.

LBguy

must get stronger!
Established Member
Just practice! Eventually it becomes muscle memory and you don't even have to think about it.

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
Yeah, learn taking off smoothly first. The moderately quick smooth takeoffs will come soon after. I don't even recall changing gears much, just I'll look at tach.

slick4_6

Established Member
Originally posted by 90_red_lx
Yeah, learn taking off smoothly first. The moderately quick smooth takeoffs will come soon after. I don't even recall changing gears much, just I'll look at tach.

It wasnt like that when you first learned how to drive!:p But that was a GM:rolling:

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
the best way to learn would be to buy my festiva and drive the crap out of it until you get the hang of it...

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
Originally posted by slick4_6
It wasnt like that when you first learned how to drive!:p But that was a GM:rolling:

Lol, when I first learned to drive it was *STALL* *START* *STALL* lol.

FutureStanger

Eventually you'll learn the precise spot where the clutch engages and you'll be able to manipulate it any way you want. I started on a manual, and my practice method was, park on a level spot, slowly let out clutch until car started to roll, apply throttle, slowly release clutch the rest of the way. Rinse and repeat.

Metalbassist03

Corvette Junkie
Established Member
Originally posted by Taylor04
First off, very true!:)

Yeah, it seems your just letting the clutch out too quickly. This is my first stick car too, I'm telling you, it just takes experience and time. For me I was horrible at first, but only after 3 months and it being a daily driver, I am very used to it. What helped me best was just going slow, shift slow, push the clutch in and out slow. I learned its all about timing, gotta do them at the same time. Anyways, have fun with it:rockon: :beer: :thumbsup:

Chances are, I will never drive a Mach again; however, it was a really fun experience (not sure which I liked more.. That or the 6 spd C5 I drove). I just was curious as to WHY THE HELL a 2004 was jerking like that... I knew it was me :D. Thanks for the advice guys..

Am I supposed to keep the throttle open on up/downshifts? I usually let off the gas pedal actually.

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
you'll learn to "match rev's" that's where you keep the motor rpm and the gear your going into to match each other. this is mostly for down shifting...

Nuclrslug

Kwality iz job won.
Established Member
Best advice is to go out by yourself on a country road, relax and practice and get the feel for it. I don't know about you but I like to concentrate on the task at hand rather than a car salesman rolling his eyes. It takes time when I drive a different stick and I've had a stick in one form or another my whole driving life!
Don't be too hard on yourself, it takes a while and even the "pro's" kill an engine from time to time off the line.

Nuclrslug

Kwality iz job won.
Established Member
Talk to an over the road truck driver, they don't have synchro's! (Most of them anyway if they don't have a slushbox Allison or one of those new "robot" Eaton's).

cgriff97cobra

I HATE DEER
Established Member
My first manual was my cobra and we took it to a parking lot so i could start out and i dumped 1st and took off i really didn't have any problem with shifting, just don't let the clutch out to fast. EASY!!

Metalbassist03

Corvette Junkie
Established Member
Originally posted by Nuclrslug
Best advice is to go out by yourself on a country road, relax and practice and get the feel for it. I don't know about you but I like to concentrate on the task at hand rather than a car salesman rolling his eyes. It takes time when I drive a different stick and I've had a stick in one form or another my whole driving life!
Don't be too hard on yourself, it takes a while and even the "pro's" kill an engine from time to time off the line.

Actually I work for the dealership, I am not *unfortunately* in the market for a new car. I was just delivering the vehicle back to the dealer.

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
Originally posted by Nuclrslug
Talk to an over the road truck driver, they don't have synchro's! (Most of them anyway if they don't have a slushbox Allison or one of those new "robot" Eaton's).

that's exactly what rev matching's all about...

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
The thing that helped me the most was after my dad had shown me the proper technique, I used to take my practice car out everyday, and take it down our driveway (before license) and I would practice a lot of things. We had this hill I used to practice on, I'd stop on it, and get going again, then roll back down. :p Basically, just practice driving one. You'll get better.

As for staying in the gas, when you let in on clutch to upshift let out on gas mostly, and then come out of it completely. Experiment till you get the smoothness down with how long to keep gas in, how much gas, etc etc. As for letting it back out, as you come past friction point, give it a little bit of gas again. Experiment with this till ya get it right. :) Good luck to ya. :D

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
How to get going, put the car in 1st while holding down the clutch, rev the motor up to about 4,500rpms, then just let off the clutch as quick as you can. To shift, keep your foot smashed on the throttle, just kick the clutch in, shift, and let off of it.

Just kidding, it just takes getting used to. If you get it, you'll have it for maybe 3 days and you'll be used to it like you've done it your whole life.

Users who are viewing this thread