Question about drinking/antibiotics

SHONOFF98

Established Member
I was just wondering if can drink while I am on antibiotics. I had strep throat and I've been on these for like 5 days now and I feel compeletly better, but it says on the bottle to take till gone. However it doesn't say anything about drinking while taking these, I dont know if its a general known fact that you can/cant drink while taking antibiotics. It is amoxicillin 500 mg.

Tyler

P.S. Dont flame, I usually go to the bars on Thursdays and I've heard that you can drink a couple while on antibiotics but I dont want to risk anything.

Nasty Notch

Resident Dissident
Established Member
You shouldnt get too heavy into drinking, if your sick enough to take antibiotics, you should focus on getting better.
Antibiotics have different routes of leaving the body, a lot of them are broken down in the liver(which drinking heavily puts a big strain on your liver) This really determines how long they stay active in your body and how often you need to take them, and drinking could increase the excretion rate or slow down the rate your antibiotics are broken down.

I would have no more than a few if you really really want a pint...

SHONOFF98

Established Member
Nasty Notch said:
You shouldnt get too heavy into drinking, if your sick enough to take antibiotics, you should focus on getting better.
Antibiotics have different routes of leaving the body, a lot of them are broken down in the liver(which drinking heavily puts a big strain on your liver) This really determines how long they stay active in your body and how often you need to take them, and drinking could increase the excretion rate or slow down the rate your antibiotics are broken down.

I would have no more than a few if you really really want a pint...

I think I'm going to restrain myself tonight and wait for the weekend.

Tyler

SteveChris

Established Member
if you don't take the antibiotics all the way through you run the risk of lessening the effects the next time you take it.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
No, don't drink while on antibiotics. Alchohol is a depressant, and dehydrates your body. It can interfere with your body's immune system and ability to fight infection. Want to drink? Try orange juice or chicken soup.

SHONOFF98

Established Member
harry gilbert said:
No, don't drink while on antibiotics. Alchohol is a depressant, and dehydrates your body. It can interfere with your body's immune system and ability to fight infection. Want to drink? Try orange juice or chicken soup.

lol I stuck to water tonight along with NCAA 06

Tyler

jean

Established Member
The alcohol will suppress the effect of the antibiotic and you body needs a brake especially the liver.

Users who are viewing this thread