Question about Detonation/spark knock

thenek

Established Member
Last night i took the L to the track and ran a 13.06 in 85* humid weather. Towards the end of the quarter between 90-110 mph i heard detonation sounding like spark knock, like a ticking noise on 2 different runs. At idle, normal driving and even getting on it, i don't hear the spark knock till i hit that speed range. My L has already ate the tip off of a Tr-6 in cylinder #5 about 2 months ago, and i have pulled that plug out serveral times checking to make sure it did't happen again. The #5 plug is fine and when i pulled 3 other random plugs out 2 months ago, when i found the ate up #5 plug, they looked fine.

Last edited:

thenek

Established Member
I'm just wondering if the stock coil packs or injectors are known for having problems. I had the truck dyno tuned almost a year ago and havent added anything to the truck since then. I'm taking it to my tuner asap. I really don't want to blow my motor and im tying to figure out if its the tune, coil pack, injectors or what that might be causing this. I run 93 octane and it is tuned for it. My other mods are listed below. Any suggestions/feedback is greatly appreciated.

thenek

Established Member
03 Sonic Blue Lightning
400 rwhp/500rwtq
1/4 13.06@103mph
AEM Brute Force CAI
Accufab Single Blade TB
C&L Upper Intake Plenum
6# SC Crank Pulley
Excalibrator 2 Dyno Tuned
NGK TR6 Plugs
Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler
305/45/18 Nitto DRs
Traction bars on the way

Sorry but for some reason the forum wouldn't take all this as one post

thenek

Established Member
Well i went to my tuner and he made a tune to drop my timing from 19 to 17 and said i should try running 94 octane. Has anyone had any problems with the stock coil packs or injectors? i'm pretty sure you don't need the 60# injectors until your pushin 500rwhp.

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
The problem was the amount of spark you had. You can't run 19* on pump gas even if it's 93 octane. You'd need 96 oct. MINIMUM IMO. COP going bad doesn't cause detonation, an injector could but is unlikely.

thenek

Established Member
The truck has run with this tune for almost a year now with no problems. That tells me it works fine at 19* on pump gas. Im begining to think some of the stations i fill up at might be selling a "watered down" 93 octane. The reason i suspected the Coil packs or the injectors was mainly because the tip of #5 plug was chewed off and maybe somthing similar was happening in a diffent cylinder ie. too much spark/gas or not enough.

thenek

Established Member
I remember calling him and asking him before what my timing was and he told me 18* and yesturday he looked at the logs and told me 19*. So, not sure why im getting different answers unless he jus missed somthing the first time but he jus took the existing tune and took 2* off so i jus need to reflash it and see if the knock goes away.

We will have to make another vid soon. One where you get a good take off. Your truck is as fast as mine. I looked up the thread you started about the traction bars and replied. lol When are we having the Lightning get together/barbeque? I'll bring the beers.

Users who are viewing this thread