Question about coilovers

mdrc347

Established Member
I have an 04 cobra that I purchased wrecked and had it fixed. It came with a tubular K-member and the cheap coilovers that just use sleeves that slide over the existing strut assembly to hold the springs in place. To make a long story short I hate them. They make all kinds of noise when hitting bumps and turning. The cheap thrust style bearings in the top of the coilovers are shot. The whole setup needs drastic improvement.

I was going to start researching to see if I could find a better setup out there to replace them, and thought this would be a good place to start. I'm looking for something that is good for a street/strip application, but mostly I want to put the car back to riding and handling like stock, and eliminate the noises that are driving me crazy when I turn the car or hit bumps. I have played with the idea of getting rid of the tubular K-member setup altogether, but I would sooner not do that. I actually like the good clean setup that the tubular K-member provides, as well as the weight reduction. But, if I have no other option to get rid of the noise and poor handling of the car, I will go that route.

If anybody knows of any other coilover setups out there that will accomplish what I want without going back to stock, that info would be greatly appreciated. The current setup that I have is the one by UPR. The only other one that I have seen available is the MM one, which doesn't look like it would be all that much different or better. At one time, I had seen another one out there that replaced the entire strut assembly and looked similar to a stock Macpherson strut assembly that is seen on most front wheel drive cars. It looked like a much better setup that would eliminate the noises when turning and hitting bumps that I am having issues with now. It also appeared to come with a regular top bearing rather than the cheaper one that is included in the other coilover kits that I have seen. I forget who the manufacture was but I was thinking it was possibly QA1. But, I have been unable to locate it since I started shopping for something like that. Does anybody know about this?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread