Question about Cobras:

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
I own a Marauder which I've S/Ced. I haven't had any problems w/the automatic transmission yet, but incase I ever do, I'm wondering if there's a beefier Ford factory automatic transmission than the one that's in my car that I can install. A co-worker of mine is telling me that Ford offers an automatic transmission option for the S/Ced Cobras. However, I see no evidence of that on the Ford website.

Can anyone tell me if that's true? And if so, is it a beefed-up version of the transmission in Marauders? Another thing I've been wondering is if there are any serious bullet proof aftermarket automatic transmissions available that would be a direct replacement for Marauders or Mustangs w/out any fabrication required. And if so, from who?

SVT_driv3r

Established Member
wow... a automatic cobra... ive never seen one in all the years of the cobras existance from SVT i wish there was one... maybe my mom woulda bought one then cuz she cant drive a stick... your best bet would probably try to get a mustang GT tranni im sure those are around good luck and congrats on being blown :) -Billy-

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
Originally posted by SVT_driv3r
wow... a automatic cobra... ive never seen one in all the years of the cobras existance from SVT i wish there was one... maybe my mom woulda bought one then cuz she cant drive a stick... your best bet would probably try to get a mustang GT tranni im sure those are around good luck and congrats on being blown :) -Billy-

Thanks. I was very skeptical what this guy was telling me. I didn't think that Cobras ever came w/automatics, but I figured you guys would know for sure. BTW, that must be one very fast Lightning that you have. Did you ever take it to the track? And if so, what did you turn? I see that you also have the straight-thru design Magnaflow mufflers. I like the way they sound on my car. With the extra displacement that your Lightning engine has, they must even sound better.

BTW, I'm sure that a Mustang GT automatic transmission is the same as mine. No?

DeVus1

Established Member
Originally posted by BillyGman
BTW, I'm sure that a Mustang GT automatic transmission is the same as mine. No?

I do believe it would be close to the same. However, Tremec makes very good transmissions for the Mustangs.

Venix

Venomous Productions
Established Member
there have been about 3 auto cobras. All of them were used as pace cars though.

98cobrancali

the mustang man
Established Member
either go for a c4, or if the auto you got breaks, i take it its an aod? those things can be built to handle some power, you should try the svt and dohc forums over on corral.net, theres a lot of racers on those boards they can probably steer you in the right direction

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
Originally posted by mambaman
what about the mach 1 automatic tranny?

I'm thinking that it's the same automatic as in my car which is a 4R70W which has an O/D. The tailshaft housing is probably shorter though than the one in my transmission. But I doubt that the internals would be any beefier than those in my transmission since neither car came w/a S/Ced engine from the factory.

"slowDOHC", thankyou for the compliment on my car.

"CobranCali", thanks for that tip.

Users who are viewing this thread