Question about changing the exhaust

03_silver_coupe

Established Member
I am putting a bassani x-pipe on today. What size are the bolts that hook up to the manifolds? Also, did anyone have any troubles with putting the bassani x-pipe together? Mine came in three pieces. :burnout:

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Good luck with that front passenger side nut. You need a 15mm Deep well socket, a swivel attachment, and a lot of room with a breakover bar to break them loose. They are on TIGHT. And you need to put them back just as tight, ask Coleman, his came off after a few days. :-D You may need a new passenger side header gasket as well, get the Ford ones if you do need one, they last longer and trust me - you will not want to pop that bolt loose anytime soon. You will see what I mean ;-)

Good luck

03_silver_coupe

Established Member
Thanks Dan. I was looking forward to changing it but now I'm not so sure. Where did you jack the rear end up at? Did you jack the rear up first or the front?
I did the exhaust change on my 98. It was hard but it was well worth it. I hope this change is.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
I didn't get a chance to get the rear wheels off the ground. I drove the front up on ramps (had to use 2X4's because the front airdam was lower than the ramps. If you have a floor jack, jack it up under the engine in the center on the metal plate that is painted, then set your jacks or ramps (I learned the hard way) instead of trying to drive up on the ramps. I couldn't get the damn header bolt loose, so I had to end up taking it to a muffler shop to get installed. Hope you have better luck than me, I have heard of quite a few guys doing there own exhaust successfully. The X-Pipe is well worth the hassle.

SVT 03 Cobra

I just put my Bassani x-pipe and cat back on thursday. Took me right @ 2hrs to do it all. I do have access to a lift though. A little muscle and a breaker bar those collector bolts come right off (at least mine did) Oh BTW I'm very happy with the result, and you will be too. If your only doing the X-pipe, it is only 8 bolts total, and no hangers. Hope this helped, and good luck.

Jayson

03_silver_coupe

Established Member
Originally posted by J69gordon
I just put my Bassani x-pipe and cat back on thursday. Took me right @ 2hrs to do it all. I do have access to a lift though. A little muscle and a breaker bar those collector bolts come right off (at least mine did) Oh BTW I'm very happy with the result, and you will be too. If your only doing the X-pipe, it is only 8 bolts total, and no hangers. Hope this helped, and good luck.

Jayson

No lift here. Using jacks and ramps. Jacked up front of car and put the ramps under the tires. Then jacked up the rear. I finally have the stock h-pipe off. The worst part was the passenger side nuts, just like everyone knows about. Then O2 sensors were a bigger pain though. They are way up there to disconnect. Now I am back to the garage to install the x-pipe. Thanks for the help guys. FYI Dan you had the correct size on the manifold nuts. The rear ones were a 9/16 I believe and the O2s used a 7/8.

03_silver_coupe

Established Member
X-pipe is now installed. First impression not a lot louder. I thought it would be louder than it is. I have the cats on. First thought after install: definitely need a cat back. Will come very soon.

03SonicSnake

Member of 500/500 Club
Established Member
Take the cats off if it is the system that allows you to do so and see how you like it that way first. Then try the catback.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Glad to hear you got them on, they will give your car more of a Nascar sound. Couple that X-Pipe with a MagnaFlow catback and you will be set! Now, go out there and drive a bit.... :D

Users who are viewing this thread