Question about brake caliper.

crazycarlo

Established Member
So even though I don't have my cobra anymore one of my main upgrades on the fox will be cobra brakes. I don't care what so ever about the word "cobra" on the calipers as long as they are dual piston and the correct ones for 13 inch rotors (front).

The thing is that when I put my info into rockauto.com just to get a price I seem to not wanna trust it. Some of the caliper prices seem to good to be true. So I've come to the following thoughts.

1) people tend to overpay for calipers with the word cobra on them.

2) the ones on Rockauto picked out for s 98 cobra aren't the correct one.

Does anyone have a part number that I can cross reference or has anyone had to purchase replacement calipers.

cobra_neill

Established Member
Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
You have a link to the rockauto ones?

I take it they are genuine PBR calipers and not some cheap knock off that will fit?

I had to send back a whole bunch of crap from rockauto that didn't fit. Everything was specifically listed for a 98 cobra. I received;

96-98 gt plug wires
Dorman chinese maf that pre detonated the shit out of my motor and caused multiple CEL codes, swapped twice then demanded a refund.
99-04 MOTORCRAFT fog lamp switch.
Incorrect wheel bearings. Unknown fitment.

I was only refunded for one of the above items. The rest is in a box at home. Buyer beware with that place.

I will get the car on ramps tomorrow and check for you. But honestly if they aren't genuine PBR ones just save your money. 01 bullitt's have the same calipers with a pony on them. Maybe they are cheaper.

Neill

crazycarlo

Established Member
Well I wasn't talking about PBR exclusively. And I agree you have to watch out. I try to do as much research about parts before I purchase online. Basically is it the caliper or the bracket that determines if the caliper will work with certain size rotors?

cpotts13

Established Member
Also if you didnt know.... the pistons in the 99+ cobra calipers are larger than those in the 98 and earlier cobra..
I would keep my eye on ebay or make sure you get genuine PBR..

JCP281

Corner Carvin
Established Member

cpotts13

Established Member
There is deals to be had... I bought a set of 03 cobra calipers, with new pads and bear eradispeed 2 piece rotors off ebay for $400 shipped a few years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread