Question about blower belt dust

AtlantaGT500

Established Member
So today I set out to wash the engine bay of my car. I notice as I started spraying the engine with water that there was a bunch of black dust on the front of the blower right next to the pulley. As many times as I check my engine bay I have never seen this dust before. Is the belt starting to go? The car has 21,000 miles and has never been raced, stock blower and pulley.

Sorry no picture as I did not have my phone with me, I know, I know.

Thanks

AtlantaGT500

Established Member
It's a car...... I covered the important things with plastic and when I was done it looked like it just rolled off the line.

I did not blast the engine with a pressure washer it was just a medium mist from a hose nozzle.

AtlantaGT500

Established Member

mavisky

Established Member
You guys have seriously never washed a car's engine with water? This is pretty common.

To the topic on hand it sounds like the belt is just wearing and the shape of the snout is collecting the dust as opposed to letting it blow away or something. keep an eye on it over the next few weeks and see how quickly it adds up. Mine doesn't have any noticeable dust, but it's black so small amounts really don't register the way they will on the silver housing.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Nothing wrong with hosing off the engine, as long as it's done with just a little common sense.

As for the belt dust, I think it's normal. Over time, belts wear. Just like tires, and brakes, and everything else. Check your belt for cracking, fraying, or any other sign of impending failure. Replace if needed. New take-off stock belts can be had for dirt cheap. If it looks good still, run it.

AtlantaGT500

Established Member
Nothing wrong with hosing off the engine, as long as it's done with just a little common sense.

As for the belt dust, I think it's normal. Over time, belts wear. Just like tires, and brakes, and everything else. Check your belt for cracking, fraying, or any other sign of impending failure. Replace if needed. New take-off stock belts can be had for dirt cheap. If it looks good still, run it.

Thanks. There was quite a bit of dust on the front of the blower that I have never noticed before. It could have been there for a while but I do empty my Catch Can every week and I would have thought I would notice the black dust.

SuperFly03

Established Member
My thoughts.... It creates issues.

Anyway. Do you have a smaller pulley? Normally the dust is from belt slip not from "going out". Do you have a tensioner or larger idler?

I have a larger idler as well as a Metco idler to increase belt wrap.

Users who are viewing this thread