Question about blood pressure

iCEMANSGCCC

Banned
I've read that any blood pressure over >120/>80 is prehypertensive. I just checked mine due to recent headaches and it was 122/66. So my systolic is over 120, but my dyastolic(spelling?) isn't. What does this mean about prehypertensitivity?

kasee 03

Menudo Eater
Established Member
You are ok, the second reading(66) is a bit on the low side.
Try having headaches and getting readings of 187/110!!

66speed

Ya dun goofed
Established Member
It really depends on the person. I have had patients with 180/130 and to them that was normal. :shrug:

SNAKE CHARM

Alcohol Fueled Brutality
Established Member
Still trying to lower mine 140/90, Doc just added another pill to the mix this week to get it lower.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
It really depends on the person. I have had patients with 180/130 and to them that was normal. :shrug:

130 diastolic is nuts, especially if that patient is walking into your office with that. i see people in the e.r. right after they've had bad injuries (pain can raise your systolic bp well above 200), so i commonly see diastolic pressures well above 100, but to have that at rest is a real problem.

66speed

Ya dun goofed
Established Member
130 diastolic is nuts, especially if that patient is walking into your office with that. i see people in the e.r. right after they've had bad injuries (pain can raise your systolic bp well above 200), so i commonly see diastolic pressures well above 100, but to have that at rest is a real problem.

Im not denying it's a problem, but this was normal on a avg. day for this fella. Well according to him it was.

Me- "Your blood pressure its a little high there Mr. XXXXXXXX"

Him- "What is it"

Me- "180/130"

Him- "Eh...thats normal for me"

Me- "What medications are you on"

and so on and so on.

Now keep in mind he was morbidly obese and a long time smoker.

Unoid

Established Member
122/6x is perfectly fine and very healthy.

I'm a medic and a car guy, and a hobbyist bodybuilder.

Keep up with the cardio it does wonders.

kasee 03

Menudo Eater
Established Member
122/6x is perfectly fine and very healthy.

I'm a medic and a car guy, and a hobbyist bodybuilder.

Keep up with the cardio it does wonders.

It sucks when you can't do squat(don't wanna get banned) about it. I get it from my parents. I've been taking pills for hypertension, high cholesteral, anxiety, and ADD since I was 29.

I use a treadmill, eat right and no, i'm nowhere near being a fatass AT ALL! Now i'm 34 and retirement looks slim.:cryying:
Sucks. Sorry for the rant.

Stavesacre21

Thinkin 4th Dimensionally
Established Member
the old "anything over 120 is hypertensive" is a little outdated. In this day in age, most nurses and doctors around the hospital here in Lima, OH consider anything up to about 140 to be within safe means as long as it doesn't fluctuate a ton. acceptable diastolic number have also moved about 10 points or so.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Im not denying it's a problem, but this was normal on a avg. day for this fella. Well according to him it was.

Me- "Your blood pressure its a little high there Mr. XXXXXXXX"

Him- "What is it"

Me- "180/130"

Him- "Eh...thats normal for me"

Me- "What medications are you on"

and so on and so on.

Now keep in mind he was morbidly obese and a long time smoker.

While that may be his "usual" blood pressure, it certainly isnt normal and is very high.

He is a stroke waiting to happen.

What do you do for a living?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
BP Normals are a range. There is no set magic number. Each patient and their circumstances need to be evaluated. Additionally, hypertension can not be determined with a single taking of a person's B.P. Someone who has been 90/60 all their life, goes to a new doc and presents with 120/80, on a single visit, will be told their BP is in the normal range. Yet, they are experiencing a crisis of some sort.

Users who are viewing this thread