question about becoming a real estate agent

badass98vert

Established Member
im really interested in getting a real estate licence here in illinois to do this as a part time thing just for some extra money. i work nights so i was thinking this might be a viable option for me right now and am also very interested in doing it. do u think this would be a good possibility as a part time job? any info and opinions from u guys that do this and have experience would be great :beer:

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
good luck. i was let go because of the economy issues. all the privately owned real estate companies have went under here. im sure it will bounce back....there are alot of un employed real estate agents running around this town trying to find jobs. the class was a breeze tho.

txyaloo

Established Member
This is not the right time to go into real estate. Bear market, with lots of foreclosures, and homes sitting on the market for over 200 days means you won't be making any money.

EBBS_03_Cobra

Never satisfied
Established Member
It's good to have the license. I'm getting mine. Things are bad, but they will pick back up again. Might take a year or two before things start to turn around, but then you will have tons of people looking to buy a home.

badass98vert

Established Member
yeah i kinda figured with how the economy is right now that i wouldnt get much work in the field but i still want to at least get my licence. im mainly wondering what u guys think about doing this with a full time job. is it possible to manage both or would it be too much?

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
My girlfriend works full time at one job and got her liscense last year to do real estate on the side. My mom employed her part time at her long and foster office. This year alone she has sold one 2 million dollar house, one half million dollar house and three other homes. She made around 40 thousand dollars after taxes in commision. Thats not bad for a part timer that just got started in my book. Its all about how big your network is and how many hours your willing to work. Plenty of realtors are making it right now.

Last edited:

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
My wife keeps her license current but she won't be going back to a full time agent even when the market comes back.

Users who are viewing this thread