Question about a carfax report

Panic661

Established Member
My girlfriend is looking at a used vehicle to buy, in this case a 2010 Ford Escape. She test drove it, her dad test drove it, and a mechanic took a look at it.

Everything checked out fine, except the carfax.

The carfax notes "Structural Damage" however lists no accidents ect. This vehicle was also a rental car at one time.

Just wondering what could possibly cause this without being an accident?

Also, instead of making another thread, anyone ever owned a Ford Escape? Decent cars? Piles of garbage?

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Escape is a great vehicle.

Something tells me this car was dropped off a delivery truck, or there was frame damage found at the auction, and an accident that didn't show up on a carfax report.

Take the car to a mechanic/body shop. If it was repaired correctly, buy it, for 10-15% less than market value.
If it wasn't, don't buy it.

Panic661

Established Member
Escape is a great vehicle.

Something tells me this car was dropped off a delivery truck, or there was frame damage found at the auction, and an accident that didn't show up on a carfax report.

Take the car to a mechanic/body shop. If it was repaired correctly, buy it, for 10-15% less than market value.
If it wasn't, don't buy it.

Thank you. Yea the dealer said "I believe it was dropped off the truck too hard at auction."

The mechanic saw nothing. She brought another to him today, and he spotted previous damage right away. I think I'll have her take it to a body shop as well.

The cost of the vehicle isn't too bad (I don't remember total price now, she has the paperwork with her.) But it's got 55,xxx miles on it and a 2010.

Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated.

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
If u contact carfax and send them ur mechanics report, they will remove it off carfax.
Believe it or not, carfax does make big mistakes.
Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Panic661

Established Member
If u contact carfax and send them ur mechanics report, they will remove it off carfax.
Believe it or not, carfax does make big mistakes.
Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Wasn't really a report, buddy and his dad own a shop, did a very quick run down for us..checked out the basic things.. anything that may have been repaired in the past, anything broke, notes for a crash, transmission fluid, ect.

She ended up not going with a ford escape, went with a smaller car, a 07 Cobalt with 42,XXX miles on it, talked the deal down about a thousand away from bluebook value for "excellent" the car is in great shape, had one previous owner, it has a few cosmetic flaws they will be taking car of, and it's hers.

I asked her to just drive a smaller car around that wasn't a manual (she had a 04 ford focus that I just bought off her for 3 grand, runs like a champ, great gas mileage, perfect for me.) She drove the Cobalt and fell in love.

Users who are viewing this thread