question about a car i sold

SeeWill99

Established Member
So when I bought my cobra I wasn't planning on it. Just came across a good deal and jumped in it. My problem comes from the Honda I was driving that I managed to sell the next day. I'm stationed in ft sill OK and the Honda had tags registered there with a clean OK title. I was visiting my fiance in huntsville TX (a 6 hour drive from ft sill) and like I said I wasn't planning on buying a car or selling mine at the time. I explained to the kid I sold it to (and his mother who actually paid for it) that I didn't have the title but would send it notarized ready to go as soon as I got home. They agreed, I collected my money, gave them a bill of sale and we all went on our ways. I sent the title the day I got back to ft sill. Called the mother and offered to give her the tracking number and she refused. Said "its ok, I trust you sent it".

Well about 2 weeks later I get a ticket in the mail for running a red light. The kid I sold the car to got caught by a red light camera with my OK tag still registered in my name apparently. My opinion, we were all young and dumb once I'll let it go. Logged on the website associated with the camera system there and got the statement of non-liability mailed off with a notarized copy of the title transfer notice from the bottom of the OK title. Got a letter saying the ticket was released. I even tried to give the mom a call and let her know what happened, no answer but left a message asking her to call me.

I let that one go and a month later I get another ticket. At the same intersection no less. I went through the same process and sent off another statement of non-liability. This time I called the mom, and the kid. No answer from either and left messages on both.

At this point all I want is my tag back so I stop getting tickets in the mail. I don't care if he wants to ride around illegally as long as it doesn't affect me. Well once I can understand, he didn't have money to transfer the title and register it but 6 weeks is rediculous.

After I tried calling the buyers, I called the local pd to see if I was allowed to reclaim my tag or if they could just go write this kid a ticket or something. Long story short, it was told to me that when I didn't remove the tag at the time of sale it was considered a part of the vehicle and was no longer my property and I was pretty much sol until he got busted in person instead of by a camera.

Anybody have any ideas on how I can go about this situation?

ocwhitetermi04

Established Member
IF you have the Bill of sale and its Dating of when you sold ur car and show the dating of the ticket u should be fine but you should of printed a copy of a RELEASE OF LIABITILTY form which should of helped big time

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Contact OK Dept. of Motor Vehicles and let them know you have sold the vehicle and the new owner is refusing to return the tag, and also getting tickets with it.

SeeWill99

Established Member
IF you have the Bill of sale and its Dating of when you sold ur car and show the dating of the ticket u should be fine but you should of printed a copy of a RELEASE OF LIABITILTY form which should of helped big time

I have the "Notice Of Title Transfer" slip from the OK title which if I turn it into the OK tag agency it should release me from liability from these. The only problem with that is when he gets another ticket I won't have that to send a certified copy to the company running the cameras.

I figured when I called the local pd down there and explained how this kid was driving illegally and running red lights in a car he "doesn't own" they would've done something about it but it seemed like there was nothing they could do about it until they busted him for something else.

My next step is to contact the OK dmv and see what I can do through them. I've even considered just reporting the car stolen to try and get the whole thing back but I'm pretty sure thats the wrong way to go about this.

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
I would get in contact with the dmv chances are the pd just doesn't want to be bothered. I'm sure dmv can do something about this but that being said let this be a lesson learned, ALWAYS remove your plates.

SeeWill99

Established Member
I would get in contact with the dmv chances are the pd just doesn't want to be bothered. I'm sure dmv can do something about this but that being said let this be a lesson learned, ALWAYS remove your plates.

I know it was a bad move, normally I do. Hopefully the dmv can do something about it.

Not that its particularly inconveinient, I just don't want to be bothered about someone else doing something completely illegal. I know if he gets busted driving that car (if he still hasn't registered it, which I doubt he has) I assume if he has the title on him then he'll get a ticket for not registering it within 30 days, if he doesn't have the title or the bill of sale on him, I dunno, driving without registration in a car that doesn't belong to you?

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
I know it was a bad move, normally I do. Hopefully the dmv can do something about it.

Not that its particularly inconveinient, I just don't want to be bothered about someone else doing something completely illegal. I know if he gets busted driving that car (if he still hasn't registered it, which I doubt he has) I assume if he has the title on him then he'll get a ticket for not registering it within 30 days, if he doesn't have the title or the bill of sale on him, I dunno, driving without registration in a car that doesn't belong to you?

Idk about tx but in NJ that car would get a tow truck ride to the nearest impound yard.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
not necessarily. some states (MD at least used to be one) the plates stay with the car. so rather than blindly remove the plates better to ALWAYS check the state law and comply with that before turning over the title

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
Get with the OK TAG agency and explain the issue. Ask them if they can provide you a document that will suffice as the "Notice Of Title Transfer" or a receipt with all the pertinent information on it. That should suffice the OK TAG agency and the Co. that runs the camera's.

I have the "Notice Of Title Transfer" slip from the OK title which if I turn it into the OK tag agency it should release me from liability from these. The only problem with that is when he gets another ticket I won't have that to send a certified copy to the company running the cameras.

I figured when I called the local pd down there and explained how this kid was driving illegally and running red lights in a car he "doesn't own" they would've done something about it but it seemed like there was nothing they could do about it until they busted him for something else.

My next step is to contact the OK dmv and see what I can do through them. I've even considered just reporting the car stolen to try and get the whole thing back but I'm pretty sure thats the wrong way to go about this.

olefafl

Established Member
not necessarily. some states (MD at least used to be one) the plates stay with the car. so rather than blindly remove the plates better to ALWAYS check the state law and comply with that before turning over the title

In OK the plate goes with the car, unless it has changed. Not sure about an out of state sale.

cotchnobra

Established Member

MD plates do not stay with the car at least not anymore. MD does make you turn in your plates before you can cancel your insurance or you get a healthy fine per day until you turn in the plates or you have up to date insurance for the car the plates are registered to.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
MD plates do not stay with the car at least not anymore. MD does make you turn in your plates before you can cancel your insurance or you get a healthy fine per day until you turn in the plates or you have up to date insurance for the car the plates are registered to.
yeah that has changed then. back in the day they stayed with the car LOL .... way back in the day apparently

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
have no idea, I have never bought or sold a car in texas LOL

I saw your location as Round Rock, and then saw you referring to Maryland practices and was a little confused as I am pretty sure Texas works that way.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I saw your location as Round Rock, and then saw you referring to Maryland practices and was a little confused as I am pretty sure Texas works that way.
I have 30 years in the DC/MD/VA area. have been in texas since 98

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member

penalty starts at 150 the first day you don't have insurance on the car and don't turn in your plates, kinda stiff

Users who are viewing this thread