Question About a Car Being Repossed.

CrashTestJimbo

Established Member
Long story short. When my sister moved out she bought a car from my uncle. She payed him about twice what it was worth, then when it died, and she still owed $700, quit making payments.

He told her he was coming to get it, so me, my friends, and a bat had a little fun with it. When I look back, I think that may not have been the best idea.

My question is there anything that I can get in trouble about? If the car had been wrecked, then what could they do about it?

Hmm... bad idea...

CrashTestJimbo

Established Member
No, I understand that she still owed something and that he has the right to come take it. My question is is she responsible for what condition it was in when she gives it back.

CrashTestJimbo

Established Member
Damn, what a stupid stupid thing of me to do. Looks like I'm going to be beging mom and dad for $700 to pay for the rest of it.

GoatDaddy

Unless the car is a total POS, it's probably worth more than the 700 your sister owed, running or not.
What kind of car is it?

CrashTestJimbo

Established Member
It's an early 90's 626. It doesn't run very well and the exterior was mediocre at best. I just called my brother who was the one coming to pick it up for my uncle. I asked him if he would let me pay for the rest of it and he said my uncle probably would. He's supposed to call me back tomorrow and let me know. Hopefully he's gonna let me make payments on it, so I can drag it away without my parents ever finding out about it. Wow, I'm really up a creak on this one.

GoatDaddy

unless your uncle wants to teach you a lesson and press charges...
like I said, you guys must really hate your uncle.

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
Man,how inept can a person be?..How do you know your uncle might have wanted to part it of and try to recoop what your sister owed....

CrashTestJimbo

Established Member
Yeah, my family's relationship with my uncle isn't the greatest. I realize that that was a real dumbass move, and I think I've gotten it to the point where for ~$1000 bucks everyone will be happy, and my parents won't find out.

As for him recooping loses... Haha, doubt it. She's already payed him between 2-3 grand, and he payed no more then $1,000 for it.

Live, spend some money and hope your parents don't find out, learn, forget, and do it all over again.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Jimbo, did you sister sign a "note" with your uncle for the car? If so that note will also dictate the terms of the repossession.

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
Originally posted by CrashTestJimbo
so me, my friends, and a bat had a little fun with it. When I look back, I think that may not have been the best idea.

My question is there anything that I can get in trouble about? If the car had been wrecked, then what could they do about it?

Hmm... bad idea...

Very bad idea. Your sis is screwed because of you and your friends.

CrashTestJimbo

Established Member
I realize how dumb of an idea it was. I have no idea what came over me. I'm usually very responsible and mature, but I just sort of snapped and did something very stupid.

As for her being screwed, I think I've kept that from happening. It looks like I'm going to be making payments to my uncle untill who knows when, all for a car that is going to goto the trash. Oh well, shit happens, I guess I'll deal.

CrashTestJimbo

Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan
Jimbo, did you sister sign a "note" with your uncle for the car? If so that note will also dictate the terms of the repossession.
I'm not sure. I'll ask her. If she didn't, then what? Am I still in the same boat as before? Am I ever going to get out of this boat? Doubt it. It seems as if the only way to make everyone happy is for me to just pay up. Expensive lesson learned, but a worthwhile one.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
When your sister agrees to pay a certain amount for a car she is giving her word to pay for that car. You destroying the car doesn't change that. If she paid too much, maybe in the future she will bargain more or buy something else. If the car dies that still doesn't get her out of paying for it. Fix it or sell it and pay off the rest of it would have been a better idea. Destroying it is self destructive. She still owes and has nothing to show for it.

This thread reminds me of the one where the woman destroyed her Mustang because it was going to be repo'd. She now has no car and still owes the bank. Real smart!

Some people now-a-days don't understand what giving their word means. Things like personal honor don't mean a lot to some people. You're still looking for a way out rather than face up to the problem that you caused yourself by destroying the car. PAY FOR THE CAR! Like you said it's an expensive lesson but down the road you will be glad you did.

You're still young and I wasn't close to perfect when I was a teenager [still not perfect] but look at what you are doing. Instead of facing up to the problem in an adult way, you
1. Beat up a car
2. Try to find a way to get out of paying for the car
3. Look to your parents to pay for YOUR mistake
4. Try to hide your actions from your parents

Do you see anything wrong with this? Good luck with resolving the problem. IMHO your family relationships are more important than the money so scratch up the cash and pay for the car.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Originally posted by CrashTestJimbo
I realize how dumb of an idea it was. I have no idea what came over me. I'm usually very responsible and mature, but I just sort of snapped and did something very stupid.

As for her being screwed, I think I've kept that from happening. It looks like I'm going to be making payments to my uncle untill who knows when, all for a car that is going to goto the trash. Oh well, shit happens, I guess I'll deal.

You can't even take the car to the scrapper without a title for it.
What are you going to do with it now?

GoatDaddy

I'm curious what your sis has to say about all of this.
If only 700 remains owed on the car, why don't you offer to pay 700 to your uncle, then he's out of the picture. Then it's between you and your sis; sell it for scrap and she gets the proceeds to cover the equity she lost due to your little prank.

Users who are viewing this thread