Question about '99 trac control and gauge colors

renxwar

Established Member
I bought a '99 Cobra 'vert recently. It was taken in on a trade, and I bought it from that guy with him not knowing too much about the cars past. Anyway, here's the questions:

How do you know trac control is off? On my termi with the 01+ interior, there's a light on the button that shows if its on or off. On the '99 its just a button, but there's no light on the dash that says trac off or anything. Which comes into my next question.. do I have a different gauge cluster?

The way I understand it, '99 Cobras are supposed to have blue gauge lighting. My gauges look blue in the day time, but light up green.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
The '99 traction control button has a light too. Either your bulb is out or the previous owner turned if off w/a tuner. If you spin the back wheels does the green light on the dash that looks like a tire spitting gravel come on and does your engine sound like it's running on 4 cylinders? If so, your traction control is working. I recommend checking it out by initiating a throttle drift instead of dropping the clutch unless you've got Bruce's kit installed.

As far as the gauge lighting, mine lights up greenish too. There was a thread that showed how to make it blue. Either replacing the bulbs w/super white LEDs or taking some green film off -- I can't remember. You may find it using the search function.

renxwar

Established Member
The actual button works. If I push it in, I can spin them all I want. It seems like (and I'll have to verify when I get back to NC) that the light just always stays on.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Sorry, I misunderstood. So the light on your traction control button always stays on but yet your button still turns traction control on & off? I've never heard of that problem.

Edit: I just checked (poor memory) and the light indicates the traction control is off. So when you can spin your tires is the light inside the button on?

Last edited:

renxwar

Established Member
By light, are we talking about the TRAC CTRL button lighting? Like the actual letters? If so, I *believe* its always on, whether the system is turned off or on. I'll be able to verify this tomorrow.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
The top of the button has TRAC CTRL on it in white letters and is lit up w/the greenish color when your lights are on. The bottom part of the button has OFF that is only lit/visible when the traction control is off. Two separate bulbs. The bottom bulb should turn on and off when you push the TRAC CTRL button repeatedly.

MrBrain

Corner carver
Established Member
Regarding the light the 99 dash is green(ish). There was a thread some year ago regarding led bulbs change. I did that too and now they're all blue. There were blue gauges in the A-pillar in my car and the aftermarket stereo is blue, so I swapped bulbs to get it to match nice.

On the 01 it's different though, the same bulb trick wouldn't turn gauges blue if I remember correctly

edit: in the 99 nothing else was required than swapping bulbs. maybe it was in the 01 it was needed to peel some films off..?

Last edited:

ShadesofGrey

Established Member
hmm

Regarding the light the 99 dash is green(ish). There was a thread some year ago regarding led bulbs change. I did that too and now they're all blue. There were blue gauges in the A-pillar in my car and the aftermarket stereo is blue, so I swapped bulbs to get it to match nice.

On the 01 it's different though, the same bulb trick wouldn't turn gauges blue if I remember correctly

edit: in the 99 nothing else was required than swapping bulbs. maybe it was in the 01 it was needed to peel some films off..?

photos please

shurur

Established Member
As far as the cluster being made blue there is a thread..it is long..skip to the last pages for the final solutuon...
How To: Change Your Cluster to Blue L.E.D.s/Incandescent bulbs for $8 - Page 13 - Mustang Forums at StangNet

there may be other forums..

www.autolumination.com Tail Light Brake Light Turn Signal LED Bulbs
tri-leds superwhites will turn cluster blue and still allow you to see the needles red.

Superstars with heatsink for the AC..though results are not so good there...as these leds are too directional and make dead spots on the ac panel.

renxwar

Established Member
I forgot about this thread. It ended up being a burnt out bulb in the OFF side. I went to radio shack to try and find the replacement bulb and they don't carry it anymore.. so I just switched the top bulb with the bottom and replaced socks.. works great now.

Users who are viewing this thread