Question about 5.4 Lightning block

9T5SVT

Established Member
My question is, is there any difference in the actual block from the lightning than the 5.4 that comes in the 2000 Cobra R? I'm talking just the block, not a complete lightning motor, I know they are different in that aspect.

I'm asking this because my dad has the block from hi 00L, with all the pistons and rods and stage 1 or 2 heads that are sitting in his garage. I was thinking of building the motor up and possibly putting it into an 99-04 mustang. I thought aout getting a cheap v-6 and doing a swap. I know i would be a lot to do, but just a thought. I mean if anything, at least rebuild the motor. Also, can you put the 4valve cobra heads on the 5.4? Thanks

9T5SVT

Established Member
Nope the R block is iron also other then the heads being DOHC I think the R had forged rods while the L just had standard rods was the only other difference

That was my main question, does everything bolt up the same way. Can you put a set of cobra heads on the 5.4 block without any issues?

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
standard cobra heads or cobra R(/GT500/GT) heads? the R heads are a unique casting that would require either a cobra R manifold, GT/GT500 supercharger manifold, or a custom manifold.

Leedog

Clan SVT
Established Member
What about navi heads? I thought I heard they bolt right up to a lightning block no?

9T5SVT

Established Member
standard cobra heads or cobra R(/GT500/GT) heads? the R heads are a unique casting that would require either a cobra R manifold, GT/GT500 supercharger manifold, or a custom manifold.

I'm just talking about standard cobra heads. Just thought if I really do rebuild the motor, it would be better with a 4valve head rather than what it comes with.

Users who are viewing this thread