Question about 2014 GT's Front Bumper

ARC

Established Member
I currently have my car sitting at a GEICO related repair shop (have since yesterday morning). Someone's car hit a rock on the highway and it ricocheted on to my car @ 70 mph hitting my front bumper. I was wondering what you think I'm going to be paying.

Maximum I can pay is $500 (my deductible), but I thought I'd have received a call by now. Attached are crappy pictures of the damage. I'm betting it would have been cheaper to just buy a new bumper and figure out how to install it or something. Wish I was more mechanically inclined..:cryying:

Reason for my car being so dirty was that it just rained recently a few times and got a ton of dirt on my car.

2nbvyvk.jpg

jg5low.jpg

Last edited:

ARC

Established Member
Front bumper + Paint + Install > 500

Can you be more specific? I'm thinking they're not going to be replacing the entire bumper. I don't know what the procedure is. All they said was they would take off the bumper and see if there's any damage underneath and then fix it. Apparently they put a layer of clear coat over the front bumper as part of the fixing of the scratch/dent.

Are you saying buying a brand new bumper with paint and install is over $500? What should I do if a case like this arises in the future?
I guess I should have tracked down the person who ricocheted the rock onto me and made them pay or their insurance...I don't know.
I've had the worst time with roads here in south Texas being crappy and littered with crap from trucks carrying rocks and stuff.

ViciousJay

Established Member
buy new bumper on ebay, take it have painted, install yourself = less then you're deducible I'm willing to bet

ARC

Established Member
buy new bumper on ebay, take it have painted, install yourself = less then you're deducible I'm willing to bet

It's too late for that but thanks for the suggestion. I was debating whether or not to report to insurance and have it dealt with that way. In the end, I just made a quick decision based off of not having knowledge of how to replace own bumper and such.

My94GT

Established Member
thats a simple repair blend the left side of cover with paint and full clear. if you want to pm me your vin number i can get you a pretty spot on price as im not super busy right now at work.

for reference, i manage a shop thats a direct repair for geico as well.

ARC

Established Member
For future reference: Removing the bumper is covered in our instruction manual: Armageddon Twin Turbo Manual 2011-2014 Mustang GT and Boss 302
Thanks.
thats a simple repair blend the left side of cover with paint and full clear. if you want to pm me your vin number i can get you a pretty spot on price as im not super busy right now at work.

for reference, i manage a shop thats a direct repair for geico as well.

It's already at the GEICO affiliated shop and has been since yesterday morning. I guess I should have just posted on here before taking it to a shop. I bet they're going to screw me over on price. $500 for me (my deductible) out the window.

My94GT

Established Member
Thanks.

It's already at the GEICO affiliated shop and has been since yesterday morning. I guess I should have just posted on here before taking it to a shop. I bet they're going to screw me over on price. $500 for me (my deductible) out the window.

I found a vin on ebay, heres what i came up with based on what i could see. 416.34 to remove cover, repair and blend with full clear. also time to remove and install necessary parts like grilles and corner lamps.

i obviously cant see the car in person and the labor rates may differ there but thats a good ball park. average bumper repairs are between 450-550 generally some a bit less some a bit more from time to time.

ARC

Established Member
I found a vin on ebay, heres what i came up with based on what i could see. 416.34 to remove cover, repair and blend with full clear. also time to remove and install necessary parts like grilles and corner lamps.

i obviously cant see the car in person and the labor rates may differ there but thats a good ball park. average bumper repairs are between 450-550 generally some a bit less some a bit more from time to time.

Great. If I don't get my car today I'll be pissed. I don't think it should take more than 2 days to do the repairs on this. I hate thinking about my car sitting out in the hot sun all day. Basically throwing $500 out the window when I can't afford to do so.

My94GT

Established Member
nope, a repair like that should be drop one day get back the next. most the time as long as i get a job like that by 10am i have it done by 5:30pm.

ARC

Established Member
nope, a repair like that should be drop one day get back the next. most the time as long as i get a job like that by 10am i have it done by 5:30pm.

Yeah, I know they had a few other cars there but not that many from what I could tell. I gave it to them at 8:30 a.m. yesterday morning. I'll update this thread when I get a call or pick it up and update with pics.

ARC

Established Member
Update: Getting the car back soon (Monday latest), hopefully today or tomorrow but who knows.

Cost: ~$539.00. I pay $500.00 Geico pays $39.00. I knew I'd be throwing my money away, but unfortunately I feel as though I'm neither smart enough or resourceful enough to repair it myself. Damn shame.

cl0udedth0ught

Established Member
Update: Getting the car back soon (Monday latest), hopefully today or tomorrow but who knows.

Cost: ~$539.00. I pay $500.00 Geico pays $39.00. I knew I'd be throwing my money away, but unfortunately I feel as though I'm neither smart enough or resourceful enough to repair it myself. Damn shame.

In the future if something like this happens to you, you are better off just taking it to a body shop and not claiming it on your insurance. Some insurance companies will raise your rates when you file a claim. Since the cost was the same as the deductible, you are better off not claiming it and just paying it out of pocket. Insurance companies are a rip off 95% of the time imo.

Users who are viewing this thread