Question about 13/14 traction control

shelbysvt

Established Member
My first question is to make sure advanced track is on and TC is on we could very easily hold the traction control and brake down for 5 seconds to turn both off. Then if we just push the TC button once they both should come back on correct? This way we know 100% both should be enabled.

My 2nd question is what does it take for the TC light to actually come on so you know it is working? For example people say when you go 50% or w/e amount throttle in 1st or 2nd the tires are spinning. But if they are spinning shouldn't the TC light come on? Also wouldn't that mean the car isn't going anywhere? Sometimes when I do the throttle I notice that it takes 1-2 seconds for the car to get going (is this from tires spinning?) but then after about 4-5 seconds it FLIES.

I am just wondering because I had my shelby bite me in the ass when I got a little thorttle happy over the wrong sort of road and quickly had to correct in order to stay on the road. But the TC light never came on to save me so to speak (I had to do it myself).

But when I go over a tiny bit of gravel in my neighborhood that is enough to really spin the tires then all the sudden the TC light will go on. So this TC system really confuses me.

Can someone explain it please?

thanks

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
Not sure if this helps you or not - it is for a GT so I'm not sure if there are differences:

[youtube_browser]Ih6gyUn37IM[/youtube_browser]

Crowley

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
My first question is to make sure advanced track is on and TC is on we could very easily hold the traction control and brake down for 5 seconds to turn both off. Then if we just push the TC button once they both should come back on correct? This way we know 100% both should be enabled.

My 2nd question is what does it take for the TC light to actually come on so you know it is working? For example people say when you go 50% or w/e amount throttle in 1st or 2nd the tires are spinning. But if they are spinning shouldn't the TC light come on? Also wouldn't that mean the car isn't going anywhere? Sometimes when I do the throttle I notice that it takes 1-2 seconds for the car to get going (is this from tires spinning?) but then after about 4-5 seconds it FLIES.

I am just wondering because I had my shelby bite me in the ass when I got a little thorttle happy over the wrong sort of road and quickly had to correct in order to stay on the road. But the TC light never came on to save me so to speak (I had to do it myself).

But when I go over a tiny bit of gravel in my neighborhood that is enough to really spin the tires then all the sudden the TC light will go on. So this TC system really confuses me.

Can someone explain it please?

thanks

The EASIEST way to make sure you're in the the correct mode is to start your car and not touch anything. It always defaults to the most restrictve setting after shutting the car off. The only part that doesn't get reset is Launch Control, which isn't going to be available unti the car has warmed up anyway.

Yes, the delay you're feeling for a few seconds before taking off and "flying" is the traction control interferring. The car detects a predetermined amount of wheel spin, restrains the car through brake application, throttle reduction, or both. When it regains composure/stability it will shut itself off and give you full throttle again...that's why you feel it kick off all the sudden.

There is a difference between traction control and stability control. The stability control fires off of slip angle, not wheel spin. So you'll see the "traction light" when you kick the tail out past a specified angle skid and the car will attempt to tuck you back in.

Hope that clarifies some of it for you. :beer:

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
The EASIEST way to make sure you're in the the correct mode is to start your car and not touch anything. It always defaults to the most restrictve setting after shutting the car off. The only part that doesn't get reset is Launch Control, which isn't going to be available unti the car has warmed up anyway.

Yes, the delay you're feeling for a few seconds before taking off and "flying" is the traction control interferring. The car detects a predetermined amount of wheel spin, restrains the car through brake application, throttle reduction, or both. When it regains composure/stability it will shut itself off and give you full throttle again...that's why you feel it kick off all the sudden.

There is a difference between traction control and stability control. The stability control fires off of slip angle, not wheel spin. So you'll see the "traction light" when you kick the tail out past a specified angle skid and the car will attempt to tuck you back in.

I don't think this is an accurate comment. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure if the car is in Sport mode, it allows more wheel spin before interfering. If that's the case, the shutting off the car in sport mode and turning it on will still leave it in sport mode, meaning it is not in it's most restrictive state.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I don't think this is an accurate comment. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure if the car is in Sport mode, it allows more wheel spin before interfering. If that's the case, the shutting off the car in sport mode and turning it on will still leave it in sport mode, meaning it is not in it's most restrictive state.

You're right about Sport Mode being less restrictive, but mine resets back to normal mode if I turn off the car.

Nickoli

Established Member
You're right about Sport Mode being less restrictive, but mine resets back to normal mode if I turn off the car.
Mine resets it's self also. Sport mode has to be activated each key cycle.

That is a great description. I always knew the traction control was working but didn't know who the light on the dash sometime would not come on or only come on for a split sec when I knew tc was taking place...

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member

This is exactly correct!

shelbysvt

Established Member

This helps a lot but one part. You say that the light will come on which is stability control and that is when there is a slip angle or kicking the tail out past a specificed angle. When my mishap occured my tail flew to the right then since I was so shocked over compensated which made it fly to the left but then I was able to properly pull it back in and that light never came on ever. So then was my tail not out enough? Because both ways it was pretty scary, I thought for a second that was the end of my car.

So then I guess if the slow feelings is the TC kicking in when I hit 80% thorttle from say a 2mph roll, if I were to turn TC off and do the same thing then my tires would really would spin like I'm doing a burn out essentially?

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
This helps a lot but one part. You say that the light will come on which is stability control and that is when there is a slip angle or kicking the tail out past a specificed angle. When my mishap occured my tail flew to the right then since I was so shocked over compensated which made it fly to the left but then I was able to properly pull it back in and that light never came on ever. So then was my tail not out enough? Because both ways it was pretty scary, I thought for a second that was the end of my car.

So then I guess if the slow feelings is the TC kicking in when I hit 80% thorttle from say a 2mph roll, if I were to turn TC off and do the same thing then my tires would really would spin like I'm doing a burn out essentially?

First off, when you were saving your car from almost certain destruction in the throes of oversteer, were you really looking at your dash for TC lights? Not doubting, just offering if it was possible you missed it blink on and shut off after you got control without noticing it.

Secondly, I think one of the great things about the way this TC has been designed is in how much it lets you get out of shape before interfering. Is it possible you didn't get out of shape enough? I don't know. Maybe. I've never really experimented with the warning lights to pinpoint the exact criteria that need to be met. You can feel what the car is doing though, and that will answer your questions. You can feel where the car pulls throttle and when it gives it back. You can feel when it takes over and starts to tuck the back end under you again. Go out to some open, safe location and do a couple little practice excursions. Instead of pulling out of the throttle, stay in it. You will see how/where the car starts to get involved. I did a drag launch using LC on a dirty street in 48 degree weather with the stock rubber. I kept it matted and let the car control it however it was going to. It was uneventful and restrained itself just fine. Although I hate how slow it makes you feel when it engages, I must admit I think it does it's intended job very well. Compare it to the "toss an anchor out the window and watch your head" approach of the Terminator TC and you'll see what I mean about it being a vast improvement.

Lastly, yes. If you turn off you TC you will easily do rolling burnouts. You can do them with the TC on as well, but you will notice the tires spin differently with it off. With TC on, punch it in 2nd gear at 40-50 mph. It will kick out a tad, leave a little black to mark the occasion, then tuck in and move on it's merry way. Turn it off and do the same thing and you will get a much more violent kick out, you'll get smoke and a much longer/faster rate of spin (plus the added bonus of ending up in a ditch if you've shut EVERYTHING off and arn't paying attention). Obviously Sport mode will be a middle ground between the two experiences.

Last edited:

Derek5774

Established Member
take my warning about turning traction control off and doing rolling burnouts at speed,
PAY ATTENTION, when the tires decide to bite it doesn't matter if advance track is on,
it will try to put you in the ditch
work your way into using all the power before you decide to cut up

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
I've done some playing around with the systems. And find if you don't over react while things are getting funky, the car actually does a real good job of straightening out. The sport mode lets me have a little bit of fun but I prefer turning all off for the real excitement ;-)

muauto

Established Member
I've done some playing around with the systems. And find if you don't over react while things are getting funky, the car actually does a real good job of straightening out. The sport mode lets me have a little bit of fun but I prefer turning all off for the real excitement ;-)
:rockon:

shelbysvt

Established Member
First off, when you were saving your car from almost certain destruction in the throes of oversteer, were you really looking at your dash for TC lights? Not doubting, just offering if it was possible you missed it blink on and shut off after you got control without noticing it.

Secondly, I think one of the great things about the way this TC has been designed is in how much it lets you get out of shape before interfering. Is it possible you didn't get out of shape enough? I don't know. Maybe. I've never really experimented with the warning lights to pinpoint the exact criteria that need to be met. You can feel what the car is doing though, and that will answer your questions. You can feel where the car pulls throttle and when it gives it back. You can feel when it takes over and starts to tuck the back end under you again. Go out to some open, safe location and do a couple little practice excursions. Instead of pulling out of the throttle, stay in it. You will see how/where the car starts to get involved. I did a drag launch using LC on a dirty street in 48 degree weather with the stock rubber. I kept it matted and let the car control it however it was going to. It was uneventful and restrained itself just fine. Although I hate how slow it makes you feel when it engages, I must admit I think it does it's intended job very well. Compare it to the "toss an anchor out the window and watch your head" approach of the Terminator TC and you'll see what I mean about it being a vast improvement.

Lastly, yes. If you turn off you TC you will easily do rolling burnouts. You can do them with the TC on as well, but you will notice the tires spin differently with it off. With TC on, punch it in 2nd gear at 40-50 mph. It will kick out a tad, leave a little black to mark the occasion, then tuck in and move on it's merry way. Turn it off and do the same thing and you will get a much more violent kick out, you'll get smoke and a much longer/faster rate of spin (plus the added bonus of ending up in a ditch if you've shut EVERYTHING off and arn't paying attention). Obviously Sport mode will be a middle ground between the two experiences.

It is entirely possible I didn't see it come on but I figured I would have heard it. Maybe I should go to a road with no traffic or an open lot and play with it because when the tail jumped out immediately I took my foot off the throttle I didn't hold onto it.

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
It is entirely possible I didn't see it come on but I figured I would have heard it. Maybe I should go to a road with no traffic or an open lot and play with it because when the tail jumped out immediately I took my foot off the throttle I didn't hold onto it.

When I leave all nanny's on, I can do a perfect drift through a round-about in my town. It never let's the rear end get more than 12 to 18" inches out of wack. It is definitely one of the most optimized TC systems I have ever driven. My CTS-V was completely over bearing and wouldn't let me do anything even close to that. I always left all nanny's off on that car. I usually keep them all on on the GT500.

shelbysvt

Established Member
When I leave all nanny's on, I can do a perfect drift through a round-about in my town. It never let's the rear end get more than 12 to 18" inches out of wack. It is definitely one of the most optimized TC systems I have ever driven. My CTS-V was completely over bearing and wouldn't let me do anything even close to that. I always left all nanny's off on that car. I usually keep them all on on the GT500.

I don't quite yet have the b*lls to do drifts in this car. I sometimes like to give it a little bit of gas to do a power slide almost when I make a sharp turn but thats as far as my playing with it has gone. I'm too scared I'll over do it and crash the car. Probably it would be beneficial thing if the TC is that good and stability control to mess around with it in a very big open deserted lot one day.

sftdyna

Established Member
I recently tried to run my car from a very slow roll to see how it would do ( 10 mph ) and with all the nannies on it actually took off real nice! granted i still had to pull out of it a little and short shift second but it was the first time i could actually say it was an animal. When i took off the traction control it was very hard to produce the same acceleration as the tires lit up in an instant. When using traction control it intervenes so smoothly still letting the tires spin to keep you in the power it was actually more fun to drive. Im sure with proper tires that bite perhaps turning it off will be the way down the line

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I don't quite yet have the b*lls to do drifts in this car. I sometimes like to give it a little bit of gas to do a power slide almost when I make a sharp turn but thats as far as my playing with it has gone. I'm too scared I'll over do it and crash the car. Probably it would be beneficial thing if the TC is that good and stability control to mess around with it in a very big open deserted lot one day.

Or take it to a local autocross and explore the limits safely there. I take all my cars autocrossing at least once just so I can get a good sense of how it brakes and turns while still in a safe and controlled environment. The fun factor is just an added bonus. :burnout:

03Cobra05GT

Established Member

Mine resets it's self also. Sport mode has to be activated each key cycle.

That is a great description. I always knew the traction control was working but didn't know who the light on the dash sometime would not come on or only come on for a split sec when I knew tc was taking place...

Hmm I find that super interesting. I leave mine in sport mode and it most definitely does not reset, ever. Never did it once. It stays in sport mode no matter what. Seems stupid that it would actually reset back, and that would irritate me. I believe you, just curious as to why it would do it for some and not others.

Can anyone else comment on this? I can take a video of me starting, then turning off the car, taking the key out completely, and then putting it back in and starting it again, and it will still be in sport mode.

Perhaps it has something to do with the memory settings option?

dotmpeg

Established Member
Hmm I find that super interesting. I leave mine in sport mode and it most definitely does not reset, ever. Never did it once. It stays in sport mode no matter what. Seems stupid that it would actually reset back, and that would irritate me. I believe you, just curious as to why it would do it for some and not others.

Can anyone else comment on this? I can take a video of me starting, then turning off the car, taking the key out completely, and then putting it back in and starting it again, and it will still be in sport mode.

Perhaps it has something to do with the memory settings option?

I'm almost positive mine stays in the same mode as it was when I turn it back on. It doesn't reset to normal.

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
I'm almost positive mine stays in the same mode as it was when I turn it back on. It doesn't reset to normal.

the manual talks about it going back to default settings after the key cycle... and mine does exactly that ... But I think the sport steering stays on

Users who are viewing this thread