Question about 03 vs 04 body style difference.

djpheer

Established Member
Hey all, im new to the forums here, and may be in the market for a used cobra. I have a question regarding the body. What were the changes between 03 and 04. I noticed some have the cobra emblem in the front grill, while others have the mustang emblem, which i feel doesnt look nearly as good. What year had the cobra in the grill, and why did they change it? Also, are there any other body changes between the 2 years? Thanks!

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Not exterior changes at all, other than paint colors. If you saw a Cobra on the front, it was aftermarket. All came with the horse up front. 04s also have a all black interior instead or graphite and black. They are essentially the same car though....

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
sambandit said:
Not exterior changes at all, other than paint colors. If you saw a Cobra on the front, it was aftermarket. All came with the horse up front. 04s also have a all black interior instead or graphite and black. They are essentially the same car though....
That is true. Cobra emblems in the grill are aftermarket.

Sambandit, did you get my email?

vipergts281

Established Member
As stated, they are pretty much the same.

The gray seat inserts on the 04's are darker than the 03's. No Sonic Blue in 04. And Zinc Yellow in 03 was replaced with Screaming Yellow in 04. Competition Orange is a 04 color.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Mike_Hawk said:
That is true. Cobra emblems in the grill are aftermarket.

Sambandit, did you get my email?
Yeah, I did..... I think Joe said he talked to you today and got you squared away?

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
sambandit said:
Yeah, I did..... I think Joe said he talked to you today and got you squared away?
Sure did, thanks! Didn't realize it was Joe I was talking to. But that sure does explain the email address :lol1: Thank you either way! ;-)

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Lean toward an 04. Most of them have 9 threads for the sparkplugs vs. 4 for the 03. I think it's got higher flow cats. There are some other minor changes but I don't recall what they are. Buying a later model is always a way to go. The factory continually makes improvments throughtout the production cycle. They will be harder to find though since the production numbers are only 1/3 that of the 03's. The silver ones are the fastest.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
SlowSVT said:
Lean toward an 04. Most of them have 9 threads for the sparkplugs vs. 4 for the 03.

Absolutely NOT true. Not a single 04 came with 9 threads in the heads. Not one. The only cylinder head for these cars with 9 threads is the replacement head released in January of 05. All other production and replacement heads prior to that date only have 4 threads.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
The H-pipe is also different from the 04, because the 04 didn't have the gas guzzler tax. It's actually a tad more restrictive (the 04 h-pipe)

SlowSVT said:
Lean toward an 04. Most of them have 9 threads for the sparkplugs vs. 4 for the 03. I think it's got higher flow cats. There are some other minor changes but I don't recall what they are. Buying a later model is always a way to go. The factory continually makes improvments throughtout the production cycle. They will be harder to find though since the production numbers are only 1/3 that of the 03's. The silver ones are the fastest.

MikeW

Established Member
The 03's also ha Parchment (tan) as a choice for the seats. For the Convetibles the Parchment top was also a choice.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
FireRed04Vert said:
Absolutely NOT true. Not a single 04 came with 9 threads in the heads. Not one. The only cylinder head for these cars with 9 threads is the replacement head released in January of 05. All other production and replacement heads prior to that date only have 4 threads.

Larry is correct.............as usual :)

only body difference I can think of is that 03's had a black anodized lock trim ring

Users who are viewing this thread