Question a friend asked me-LEO's Welcome

hydroshutter

don't worry about it
Established Member
I have a friend who sued a neighborhing city police department about some unjustified police abuse he received while being handcuffed(happened in '04 while he was stopped and arrested for a non-felony offense:ticket reduced to a non-moving violation). I was telling him about this section, and he raised a question I felt you all would be most qualified to answer:

Does he have no chance pretty much to apply to become a peace officer because he sued the city? He doesn't want to become an officer of that city, but one in the same state. What are your thoughts? Would this look extremely bad on him?

Any help/information is appreciated. :beer:

BEAVER SNIFFER

Established Member
hydroshutter said:
I have a friend who sued a neighborhing city police department about some unjustified police abuse he received while being handcuffed...

Does he have no chance pretty much to apply to become a peace officer because he sued the city? He doesn't want to become an officer of that city, but one in the same state. What are your thoughts? Would this look extremely bad on him?

Any help/information is appreciated. :beer:

Unjustified police abuse??? lol

If he was reasonable in his petition it should not adversely affect him.

hydroshutter

don't worry about it
Established Member
He was taken out of the car and "beat up" according to his demand letter I was looking at. He received a handsome settlement from the department. I think it was because he had two witnesses who gave video-testimonies.

BEAVER SNIFFER

Established Member
hydroshutter said:
He was taken out of the car and "beat up" according to his demand letter I was looking at. He received a handsome settlement from the department. I think it was because he had two witnesses who gave video-testimonies.

In this case it should definitely not adversely affect him. You could argue that his desire to be a police officer despite this bad experience shows an uncanny ability to judge people individually based on their own actions, and not form a preconception about a group based on a kernel of fact.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
I wouldn't say he would never have a chance of being an officer. I will say that during the background check this would be sure to raise some eyebrows. I agree he would never be hired with the PD he sued.
Overall, I don't think it is going to help him, but not impossible.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
hydroshutter said:

That wont be the reason he isnt hired! I would seriously doubt he would be hired by a P.D. or S.O. I know info like that comes up on Fed. B.I., but if it doesnt come up on a local B.I. and he doesnt divulge it, it may never become a factor.

jimljr145

Jimljr145
Established Member
This lawsuit should not in itself be a factor in the hiring process, especially since apparently winning the case. Now, getting hired, possibly working with and going to the police academy with people that may know this other officer (The instructors!!), that may make things difficult. If asked, definately divulge this, because not telling and the Department finding out (And they will if there is an arrest record) is the same as lying. Lying on an application or in the pre hiring screening is a terminable offense in any department.

I am just curious, what kind of moving violation get's you arrested? Did he resist? I'm sure something happened that is not being revealed here... I've heard that most cities will settle rather than go through court proceedings just because it is cheaper in the end. Was that the case here? Did your friend actually win in court? If I were him, I'd just be cautious about making Law Enforcement his career choice if he is not on the up and up.

Floridalawdog

Established Member
We have a female officer at my agency that has sued the department successfully 2 times and is on # 3. Shouldnt be a problem.

hydroshutter

don't worry about it
Established Member
jimljr145 said:
I am just curious, what kind of moving violation get's you arrested? Did he resist? I'm sure something happened that is not being revealed here... I've heard that most cities will settle rather than go through court proceedings just because it is cheaper in the end. Was that the case here? Did your friend actually win in court? If I were him, I'd just be cautious about making Law Enforcement his career choice if he is not on the up and up.

He got pulled for racing one night, but fought the ticket in court and won. The ticket was reduced to a non-moving violation.

He's one of the most "up and up" people I know. If anything, it was "Yes Sir" and "No Sir". His witnesses had video testimonies which really helped his case about the police abuse issue.

Users who are viewing this thread