Quest for the 12's.....

COBRA98

Established Member
What else do I need I want to stay n/a? I haven't run the car since I was stock.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Gears, 4.10 or 4.30 (although Bob Cosby runs 11s in his NA, daily driven, bolt-on, '99 Cobra with 4.56s :D) and you'll be REAL close...

/edited since I didn't see DRs in your sig the first time...:-D

Last edited:

Wildpony

Established Member
Yeah you should be there esp. if you get some 4.30's. Did you get a new chip/tune when you did the headers?? You can still pick up power with a good custom "tuner chip" to take full advantage of the headers..

COBRA98

Established Member
No I didn't get a chip or anything when I got the longtubes installed. I have the Steeda timing adjuster and I heard you can't have both?

How much hp will the chip give me?

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
You can have both if the tuner that burns the chip knows about the timing adjusters before they burn the chip. Timing isn't the only thing they will change on the chip. Jim @ JDM can give you a better idea about these things though I'm positive. (chip I mean)

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Had to check your sig again.

You could use some type of cold air induction with K&N or a airbox mod with the K&N at a minimum. The control arms could be swapped out for some better traction. I'd try the 4.10's for gear myself, that is just me though. These are just a couple of ideas though.

dragsy98cobra

Established Member
you are looking at about 2 grand for all of that, and roughly 60-70 rwhp. Just depends on what you want to do, and what your budget is.

COBRA98

Established Member
Originally posted by dragsy98cobra
you are looking at about 2 grand for all of that, and roughly 60-70 rwhp. Just depends on what you want to do, and what your budget is.

What exactly is ported? Can I get one done at a time say ported intake, then later maybe ported cams when I have more money?

dragsy98cobra

Established Member
you could do what ever you wanted. but I would port my heads first, that will run you about 400-500 dollars. Then get bigger cams, houston performance and SHM are the only people i know that have them, count on 1000 dollars for those, then last i would port my intake, but then again, you should have it ported to match the heads, that isn't as expensive as the heads, maybe 200-300 dollars. But porting your heads will give you roughly 40 rwhp. Hope that helps.

dragsy98cobra

Established Member
sorry forgot to answer your first question. Porting, is the process of making your heads bigger and smoother. This increases airflow which in turn increases horse power.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Houston performance requires you to send them your stock cams so that they can regrind them. Sean Hyland actually makes a new cam. In either case the spring pressure is a problem due to the stock springs being setup for stock cams. If you increase the lift the valves may float at higher RPMs causing them to smack the top of the piston if you do not match the springs to the cams. Porting is expensive due to the labor intensive removal and replacement of the heads. Check around on how much it will be for a shop to remove and replace your heads. I'm thinking it will be around $1000.00 at least.
Here is a link to SHM. He is a good source of info. It is a place to start atleast for pricing on some of the items mentioned.
Sean Hyland I think your money would be better spent on other things to accomplish your goal. Head & intake porting is something that should really be done when you need every ounce of HP out of the stock 4.6 stuff. It flows pretty well from the factory. There are other mods that will get where you want to go cheaper.

Gears
Slicks & Weld wheels
Pullies
Exhaust
Control Arms
Cold Air Induction
Timing Adjusters

Try losing as much weight as possible. Take the jack,spare tire, and other dead weight items out of the car at the track. Some you can take out before you leave home. This is all dependant on items that you can't go to the track without. Relocate all the weight you can from the nose to the rear of the car. A battery relocation kit helps move the weight you have to have, to the location where you need it most. Drain the windsheild washer resevoir. Simple little things like this should be tried first to see if this gets you what you want. Hey if you don't accomplish your goal, the things you have done here will still aid you if you decide to do heads,cams,blower,nitrous,stroker, or whatever you might opt for next.

The thing that will help you more than anything is getting used to your car and it's setup. When you learn what you car is going to do, how it launches best, when to shift to keep the power up, and other little things like this , your goal will be easier than you think. Just remember, mods will change the car some. The more mods you make inbetween track visits, the more you'll need to get used to the car again. This might only take a pass or two, but expect to change some with a slew of mods.

COBRA98

Established Member
I have most of those things you mentioned to do first in my sig. I want to be in the 12's n/a. THe UPR power pipe with mass air cost over $500 if ported heads would cost anything close to that it seems like it would be a much better mod. However I want to take care of all the little things first. Gears seem like a must 4.30's maybe?

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by COBRA98
Gears seem like a must 4.30's maybe?
If you want 12s. Some may chime in with 4.56s...streetable. Bob Cosby runs elevens with those in his daily driven, bolt-on only '99 Cobra. He's also an excellent driver who obviously knows his snake!

Last edited:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by COBRA98
I have most of those things you mentioned to do first in my sig. I want to be in the 12's n/a. THe UPR power pipe with mass air cost over $500 if ported heads would cost anything close to that it seems like it would be a much better mod. However I want to take care of all the little things first. Gears seem like a must 4.30's maybe?

Yes but you're sig also notes a stock ET? How is it running now is the bigger question I would think, not what mods do I need now? You need to know where you stand before you make the next step.

max

Established Member
Originally posted by GR8WHITE

Yes but you're sig also notes a stock ET? How is it running now is the bigger question I would think, not what mods do I need now? You need to know where you stand before you make the next step.

Excellent point.

COBRA98

Established Member
Max is that all of your mods in your sig? If so then I see what it takes to run 12's. I need 4.30's! What 60ft. do you get with those nittos and how do you launch on them?

Users who are viewing this thread