Quest: BBK CAI

peterjmc

Azn SVT Own3r
Established Member
Does anyone have the BBK Cold air Intake installed? I was thinking about getting one. It looks like a nice piece especially the tubing that goes from the trottle body to the mass air meter. I was reading some deatails on the product and it was saying it was chrome?

I read some where that having tubing like that in chrome defeats the purpose of the cold air intake. That it actually heats the air because it conduts the engine bay heat to the air intake.

Anyone have any problems with this? Or experience with the product?

SAVAGE99

Established Member
Hi peterjmc

I have the BBK cold air set up on my 99. It looks nice when you open the hood but I believe the fit could have been better! The upper tube coming from the throttle body hits the strut tower during initial launch and makes a rattling/thumping noise. Also the the stock breather tube is too short to reach the fitting and BBK did not see fit to supply you another one in the kit. I capped off that fitting on the cold air with a rubber cap I got at Murrys auto parts. I then removed the stoch question marked hose and replaced it with a after market chrome breather cap that cost like $8. Performance wise I noticed very little change. I used my Gtech for some 1/4 mile runs before and after. The car runs 13.8's all day long but I did run my first 13.6 at 108 after the cold air. I think it could be better but I need to cahnge my shifting practices case I'm to throttle heavy for the 1-2 shift. (too much wheel spin)

Mach0ne351

Established Member
dont get the BBK or MAC CAI. it looks great..but u will suffer from it. the metal tubing will heat up, and the whole point of the CAI will be lost. get a densecharger instead www.densecharger.com i love it, great #'s from it. AND NO HEAT FROM THE TUBING. installing it sucked because of dumb instructions, but its installable. densecharger all the way bro. and its the same price as a MAC...and half as a BBK. only $150 works better.....look on stangnet.com.....they rank it there....i think its a 9.62 out of 10 or something. check it out.

-marek

MineralGSVT

Established Member
I have the BBK on my '01 and have been very happy with it. Sure, you may not get as many hp because it is chrome, but it all depends on what you want.

If you want some HP and great looks.. get the BBK.
If you want a couple more HP and bad looks... get the Densecharger. Alot of people run this and alot are happy.

btw.. I had no trouble installing it and I have a Kenny Brown Strut tower brace.. it's not hitting that either.

stb_straight.jpg

Mach0ne351

Established Member
hey all
ill have to disagree that the desnsecharger is bad looking. personally, and a lot of other people say this aswell, but the densecharger looks a lot beefer than the bbk or mac cai. looks big and mean, and gets better performance #s, and its HALF the price as a pos bbk. there are some issues with the densecharger though with strut tower braces. but it does work with the best one out there.....MAXIMUM MOTORSPORTS. why not get the best of both worlds if u get those items. the best CAI and the best Strut Tower Brace. the thing that makes the MM S/T Brace the best is that it doesnt go to the weakest point of the frame (the middle)....it connects to the sides of the firewall not the middle of it. goto maximummotorsports.com and see what i mean. i asked densecharger about that issue with the STB, and they said only a few work with it, and MM was one of them. i was then happy....100%.

-marek

Users who are viewing this thread