Quarter Mile time???

2001CobraDan

Established Member
Whats up guys. Just bought a 2001 procharged cobra off of Matt87. Sick car! Surprisingly enough, neither of us have had the car down the 1320 yet. I am very curious as to what it would run. The car is a 2001 cobra, things that would affect performance are... intercooled Procharger D1SC @ 13psi, Big Red BOV, 03-04 cobra fuel tank, 60lb fuel injectors, PMAS MAF, off road x-pipe, Magnaflow cat-back, 4.30 rearend gears, H&R lowering springs, and Nitto NT555R Drag radials. Car made 460rwhp and 386ft./lbs. on a VERY conservative tune (12 degrees total timing and 11.1AFR). Car hooks up pretty good except for the occasional wheel hop that would ruin my 60ft time. What do you guys think it will turn? 12's, 11's, high 10's????? Thanks.

2001CobraDan

Established Member
sweet! I'll take that. Thanks for the opinion. I still might try to get it up to the track before the seasons over, just don't want to break anything so I'll take it easy...

01bluesnake

Established Member
It takes time and practice, and getting use to the car, so don't be discouraged if it doesn't hit 11's or even low 12's the first couple times out. Practicing your launching and shift skills will allow you to knock the times down quick. Your 60' can make or brake your run, but even with a bad 60' you can get a better estimate, with the MPH of where the car should be.

2001CobraDan

Established Member
True. I have only owned the car for 2 weeks now, so Im still getting used to it. I have owned a few other Mustangs in the past, so I am a decent shifter. I have just never launched an IRS car before so that part is all new. But if I do take it to the track, I'll just go easy the first run.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Make sure you air the tires down, and play with the psi to better the traction. Also make sure you don't get wheel hop, or you can brake stuff quickly, the '01 axles are stronger than the 99's, but the '03's are stronger than '01s, but still breakable.

01bluesnake

Established Member
There are a lot of things out there that will help or almost eliminate wheel hop, but the one kit that works amazing, that i have seen and installed, IMO, and a lot of the other members out there, is the Full Tilt Boogie Racing kits. Bruce's kits are very well designed, support is outstanding, and priced very fairly. He is on here as ac427cobra, and is more than willing to answer any Q's you have.

2001CobraDan

Established Member
Awesome! I'll look into it. The guy I bought the '01 off of, Matt87, has a Boogie kit on his new 03 cobra. The guy before him ran a 2.8kb and made 600rwhp so I bet that kit is good enough for me :)

2001CobraDan

Established Member
Its a dark shadow gray 03 cobra vert. Used to have a KB on it making 600rwhp. It has an rxt clutch, heat exchanger, lower pulley, magnaflows, fr500 wheels. The previous owner traded it in for a gt500. im not sure of his name, but ill ask him. do you know the car?

2001CobraDan

Established Member
Yeah we're headed to a show together at a race shop (Dez racing) down our way this weekend. Should be a good time! Well Im signing off for tonite, but thanks for your help! Ill definately look into Full tilt racings stuff.

2001SVTsnake

Established Member
sweet! I'll take that. Thanks for the opinion. I still might try to get it up to the track before the seasons over, just don't want to break anything so I'll take it easy...

if your not comfortable with the car i would wait...find a good spot to try launching the car to get some practice

you said your season is almost over? id go drive the shiat out of it gives you the winter to fix things. your not going to run your fastest times babying the car, you gotta drive that thing like you wanna break somthing.

but goodluck:beer:

01strokersnake

Part Time Race Car Driver
Established Member
True. I have only owned the car for 2 weeks now, so Im still getting used to it. I have owned a few other Mustangs in the past, so I am a decent shifter. I have just never launched an IRS car before so that part is all new. But if I do take it to the track, I'll just go easy the first run.

Good idea! Launching an IRS Cobra is an art form, especially as the power levels increase. Work your way up, and even with the 555r's you'll be launching pretty easy, they break loose fast.

2001CobraDan

Established Member
True stuff. There is only 1 week left in the season up here. Opens up again in April. Maybe Ill just wait. Ill put in a stop the hop kit and diff brace over the winter! Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread