Quad City Area LEOs

Status
Not open for further replies.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
This is for any officer in the Quad City Area (Davenport, IA/Rock Island, IL) an IL/IA state LEO may help me as well..

I am looking for a good place to get Wigwags installed... More specifically I would prefer the shop to be familiar with the B4C wiring jobs (Chicago has a few but I am not sure where they get their lights wired)... this is for firefighter/pov vehicle and I don't want my wiring hacked to hell and back.

Anyone? Thanks.

Rob

If this is the wrong forum I apologize but it seemed to fit. :)

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Unless you have a permit, it is not legal to have wig-wags in your POV. I was a deputy sheriff in Scott County back in the early 90's and ours were done by the dept.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Actually IL allows 'flashing white headlights' (Wigwag or otherwise) on FF POV now.... :)

I am checking with a few local departments to see who does the wiring installs.

Thanks for the post though. :)

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
S8ER95Z said:
Actually IL allows 'flashing white headlights' (Wigwag or otherwise) on FF POV now.... :)

You are correct, but it is not that simple.

625 ILCS 5/12-215 said:
Rescue squad vehicles not owned by a fire department and vehicles owned or operated by a:
voluntary firefighter; paid firefighter
; part-paid firefighter; call firefighter;
member of the board of trustees of a fire protection district;
paid or unpaid member of a rescue squad;
paid or unpaid member of a voluntary ambulance unit; or
paid or unpaid members of a local or county emergency management services agency as defined in the Illinois Emergency Management Agency Act, designated or authorized by local authorities, in writing, and carrying that designation or authorization in the vehicle.
However, such lights are not to be lighted except when responding to a bona fide emergency.
Any person using these lights in accordance with this subdivision (c)1 must carry on his or her person an identification card or letter identifying the bona fide member of a fire department, fire protection district, rescue squad, ambulance unit, or emergency management services agency that owns or operates that vehicle. The card or letter must include:
(A) the name of the fire department, fire protection district, rescue squad, ambulance unit, or emergency management services agency;
(B) the member's position within the fire department, fire protection district, rescue squad, ambulance unit, or emergency management services agency;
(C) the member's term of service; and
(D) the name of a person within the fire department, fire protection district, rescue squad, ambulance unit, or emergency management services agency to contact to verify the information provided.

In addition to the blue oscillating, rotating, or flashing lights permitted under subsection (c), and notwithstanding subsection (a), a vehicle operated by a voluntary firefighter, a voluntary member of a rescue squad, or a member of a voluntary ambulance unit may be equipped with flashing white headlights and blue grill lights, which may be used only in responding to an emergency call.

Any person violating the provisions of subsections (a), (b), (c) or (d) of this Section who without lawful authority stops or detains or attempts to stop or detain another person shall be guilty of a Class 2 felony.

Based on this statute, if you want wig-wags you must also possess the blue light. This is so your vehicle is identified as a non-L.E. vehicle.

Good Luck and make sure you have all your documentation in order.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
You are correct... I do have proper documentation as you said (we carry signed personal ID badges with our mabas division and creditials at all times) signed by the Cheif.

I also have a mini-phantom mounted up under my rearview mirror at the moment so the wigwags will just be in addition...

Thank you for bringing that up though... I didn't get exactly what you meant by permit at first. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread