QTP302 Cutouts installed... but fuse problems

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
I recently obtained a used but in good working condition QTP302 cutouts from another member here. I tested them using the battery, and had to test them at least 20+ times during the installation to get the valves lined up correctly. They worked flawlessly during the test phase, installation phase, and the first few days I had them... then I started blowing fuses. I followed the instructions/details found from another member here. Power source from my voltmeter reads good, 12.5V key-on only.

http://bossmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=5571.0

and

https://2012boss302qtpelectriccutouts.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

What would cause the inline fuse to blow? Bad ground? Bad fuse? Not enough or too much current? too many amps? haaaalp.

For details... the inline fuse is a glass fuse rated at 1 amp.

Anytime I install a 1 amp fuse and hit the switch, it blows. if I install a fuse greater than 1 amp, it blows the 5 amp Fuse #46 (PCM fuse) under the hood. AC stops being cold, I replace, back to normal but the cutouts don't work.

I install a hotter glass 5 amp (I also tested 15 amp, and 25 amp fuses) fuse in the inline and it blows the under-hood fuse. I installed a 10 amp fuse under the hood, and it blows the 5 amp in line fuse. LOL.

I have a feeling it's the ground, but I don't know jack shit about electrical stuff and wiring. I did solder my power source to a pig-tail factory Ford Part. I'm confident it's good as it worked the first 30-40 times during my testing.

Well, that's that. Going to drink a few more beers and go to bed. Electrical crap gives me a headache.

-lex

dennisn

Established Member
you need to find out how many amps the cutouts pull. Then make sure your wire and fuse is rated for at least that. Me personally I'd figure an extra 5 amps just to sure. I'd almost bet it's pulling more than your 1 amp that's why it's blowing the fuse. Probably pulling more than 5 that's why blowing factory fuse. I'd run a circuit off the bat with correct size wire and fuse. Run a relay for the higher current via your switch.

Slowb00st

Established Member
Qtp calls for a 1 amp inline fuse for each valve. One of them maybe stuck, that will cause the motor to draw more amps.

dennisn

Established Member
Qtp calls for a 1 amp inline fuse for each valve. One of them maybe stuck, that will cause the motor to draw more amps.

Just re read your original post. If your blowing 25 amp fuse recheck everything. I'd also run one at a time to try isolate which ones blowing. Check for the obvious shorted wire.

Users who are viewing this thread