Q's on boost loss and subframe connectors

super98snake

super98snake
Established Member
hey guy first off i just built my car over this past winter and i was starting to hit boost after about 450miles of easy break in
my supercharger that i have is a v-1 t-trim aftercooled with a mondo bypass and i have a 3.1 rr pulley with a 10%od crank and it should be in the range of 15-17psi
now heres my issue:

i get on it in either first second or third and it makes boost great about to about 5.5 6 lbs then it feels like it dies i have (2) 255 walbro pumps and 60lb injectors and all msd ignition with a brand new long block all forged and stroked im guessing its a spark issue b.c my air/fuel ratio doesnt drop or move dirasticly when this happens
could i be that i have my spark plugs gapped to large and the boost is blowing out the spark? so what should i gap the plugs at i went 1 heat range cooler when i put them in but i set it at stock gap(not sure what it was). i know i dont have any blow by in my block it runs like a top until i hit that mark of boost.
my next question is what is a good brand or who can you recommend me to so i can buy so pre bent weld on subframe connectors? ebay??

thanks for the help

01yellercobra

Established Member
I used TR6's gapped at .030" at 14psi. Spend the money on good SFC's. MM, Steeda, Griggs, etc.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Helomech74

Established Member
I ran TR6's at 20-22psi gapped at .032 with no issues at all. For SFC's, MM, Steeda, Spintech, etc., they all do the same thing. Personally I like to run through the floor SFC's, no loss of ground clearance, just much more involved with the install.

Fast?notyet

Established Member
too many things could be happening try the spark plugs and gap them down in the low .030 range 30 31 32 33 somewhere threw there the lower you go the harder it will be to start the lower you go the less of a chance of blowout you will have i run .032 on mine at as much as 17psi so far and i havent had any issues but i have COP and that might make a difference so refer more to the guys running coils than me but looks like .032 is the consensus anyway. try and get back to us

Last edited:

super98snake

super98snake
Established Member
alright thanks for the help on the gapping i will do it soon and let you guys know if it worked

i dont believe its valve float b.c. i have all new valves and comp beehive springs and retainers so it shouldnt be floating lol

98blownsnake

Established Member
Check for a boost leak.When I had my car on the dyno the car would not boost over 9 psi and found the Procharger Big red race valve(new out of the box) all the screws were loose. These were the screws on the Top hat of the valve with no loctite.Check all you hoses and vacuum lines.

spaniard

Established Member
I ran TR6's at 20-22psi gapped at .032 with no issues at all. For SFC's, MM, Steeda, Spintech, etc., they all do the same thing. Personally I like to run through the floor SFC's, no loss of ground clearance, just much more involved with the install.

Editorial Comment: Why not a through-the-floor chassis reinforcement system? Well, because Taz is a STREET CAR, not a dedicated track car. Furthermore, if I had wanted a 2-seater, I'd have bought one to begin with. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who cuts up the floorpan of any street car, even one that is only a weekend fun machine, needs to have his head examined. Personally, I'm not about to compromise the Cobra's ability to carry rear passengers, make even the front seat area a less hospitable place to be, and completely destroy the car's value. While there are a few for whom these considerations are irrelevant, I believe the vast majority of folks will agree with me on this one.

Helomech74

Established Member
Editorial Comment: Why not a through-the-floor chassis reinforcement system? Well, because Taz is a STREET CAR, not a dedicated track car. Furthermore, if I had wanted a 2-seater, I'd have bought one to begin with. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who cuts up the floorpan of any street car, even one that is only a weekend fun machine, needs to have his head examined. Personally, I'm not about to compromise the Cobra's ability to carry rear passengers, make even the front seat area a less hospitable place to be, and completely destroy the car's value. While there are a few for whom these considerations are irrelevant, I believe the vast majority of folks will agree with me on this one.

^^^ You made me laugh. Through the floor subframe connectors when done correctly do not intrude into the back seat space, hell even the standard through the floor pieces don't intrude (And who really carries people in the back seats of these cars anyway?) I think anyone that would ride in the back seat needs his/her head examined. Yeah, I need to have my head examined because I wanted to stiffen the chassis of my street car that makes 3x the factory rated HP/TQ to the tires. I guess I shouldn't bother with upgrading the brakes, cooling, suspension or anything else to handle it either. To each his own though, I personally would cut this car to pieces and put it back together if the end product is better then when I started.

01yellercobra

Established Member
People ride in my back seat. Granted they're 11 and 9 years old. So room isn't really a problem for them.

super98snake

super98snake
Established Member
alright i pulled all my plugs out last night and regapped them to .030 and went out and drove it and it so much better im producing 10 to 11 psi now but then it cuts out again and backfires and sounds like a 10gauge shotgun going off while hitting 6000 rpm. i think its a tune issue now b.c. im still running it on a handheld tune to get it broke in. now with my new motor the red line should still be 7200 rpm right?

super98snake

super98snake
Established Member
no i have not actually got it on the dyno yet and havent had it tuned its running on a break in tune so i can do my 500 miles

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
well that's why.. Don't freaking go WOT.. you're probably detonating if the AFR hasn't been checked past a certain rpm then the computer can only compensate so much.. You don't even have a full tune.. the break in tune is for exactly that, BREAKING IT IN.

No more WOT pulls, and I hope to god you didn't eff up your brand new block..

super98snake

super98snake
Established Member
im aware its been done twice one to see when i fo8nd out it wasnt over 6 then once to see if the plugs made a difference im right at the 500 mile mark its been drove real easy up till now

Users who are viewing this thread