QMP + MM subs = Mr. Happy

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
I like pics - so here's a rundown on my first "real" mods for the 03 Cobra. I know it's not much compared to what others are doing... but trying to mod 2 Cobras is a little spendy and just takes a little more time convincing the wife that the expendatures are neccessary (helps to let her call the 03 "her Cobra" too). I'm still pretty jazzed about it though... so here we go.

123102_01.jpg

I was finally was able to get my QMP 3" exhaust and Maximum Motorsports full length subs installed yesterday... and I know now why I didn't mind waiting - both are a great "first mods" for the 03 Cobra. I got in with the second group purchase for the QMP, but I've had the subs sitting in the garage for some time now. Packaging was superb on both products. No way was anything going to be screwed-up in shipment. Anyway, here's my/my installers impressions on both.

123102_02.jpg

I had the MM subs installed on my 01 awhile back. Very pleased with 'em - so it was a top priority on the 03 since it had so much more power that can tend to flex the chassie more. I got the black powder-coated ones... which didn't set too well with my installer (didn't really care about that though - that's why I was paying him to install them). Having to grind off the paint prior to welding took a little more time then normal... but at least they won't be rusty hulks in 10 years. After the welding, he coated those areas with rustoleum paint... so good protection for a great chassie stiffener.

Here's a couple of more pics of the Cobra on the subframe install rack.
Pic 1
Pic 2

OK - onto the QMP exhaust...

123102_07.jpg

The guy I had install the system (Steve at Livermore Mufflers) had just done an install a few days ago on another 03 who got the magnaflow x-pipe & bassani cat-back. He loved the ease of install on that combination... but had slightly less praise for the QMP system. There were a few tweaks to do here and there to get it tucked-up underneath and maintain correct alignment, and he also had to cut 4" off the rear pipes so the tips didn't stick out too far as well as reattach the hangers on the rear... but all in all didn't have any bad things to say about it. What I can say is that I was sure glad I had a professional do the job - the fit & finsh of the QMP (with the pro-install) is superb. A couple more pics for ya (I love pics :-D ),

View from front looking back
View from back axel looking forward

Now - my impressions of the sound of the QMP system. It's very quite at idle... almost as quiet as the stock exhaust. But it sounds totally bad ass from the outside of the car when driving (I followed my wife - who drove the 03 home - and I was almost popping wood the whole way). It certainly is different then the Borlas I have on the 01 (the QMP sounds more aggressive). From inside the car, the exhaust sounds great, but seems to have a "burble" that I don't know if I like or dislike. It's something I'll probably get used to in time, it's not disconcerting or anything like that... just a bit different.

All in all I am 110% pleased with my first "real" mods to the 03 Cobra... you can call me Mr. Happy :burnout:

03DOHC

Established Member
Looks sweet! Did installing the subs stop the creak/pop from the rear of your car? The one that pops when turning into driveways? Or did you not have it?

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
Wow, looks good! I wish you had a picture of the SFC's after they were installed on your car, though.:thumbsup:

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Subframes did not resolve the rear-end pop on mine.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
sn8k, looks good, can't wait to get my bad ass QMP on :thumbsup:

ox03, you're really happy with those GRC subs aren't you?

I think I'm gonna order them this week, rather than the MM's I originally planned on using...

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
Looks sweet! Did installing the subs stop the creak/pop from the rear of your car? The one that pops when turning into driveways? Or did you not have it?
No, I still have the creaking - but it has been reduced slightly. I have to pull into my driveway very slowly & at an angle due to the incline... otherwise I'll scrape the front air dam. Hell, I almost lift one of the rears from the pavement when I'm coming in... seen the ole lady spin the inside rear tire often due to no traction.

This is actually one of the main reasons I had the subframes installed... not to eliminate the flex/creaking, but to make sure that the chassie flex translated evenly over the entire frame. Sorry bro - I don't think there is a fix for chassie flex other then doing a full Griggs "World Challenge" frame kit and 6 point rollbar. I'm not willing to go that far just yet ;-)

As far as the poping - I don't have a clue on that.

EDIT: Actually - I do have an "opinion" FWIW. I've had a lot of problems with the 01 lowering springs (on my 3rd set now) due to "popping"... or the coils banging together. I suspect the popping you are hearing is due to this at extreme unload/load. I was told that I should get some wire wrap looms from the hardware store and wrap the springs with them to that there can be no metal-to-metal contact between the coils. I can almost bet that will work - but it seems more that treating the wound instead of curing the problem. YMMV

Originally posted by Hunter
Wow, looks good! I wish you had a picture of the SFC's after they were installed on your car, though.:thumbsup:
They are shown on two of the clickie pics... but here you go.

123102_05a.jpg

123102_06a.jpg

Thanks for the props!

Mark...

Last edited:

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
Originally posted by matt lankford
can you post some pics of how your rear exaust hangers are setup with the pipes cut down?
Sure dude.

123102_08.jpg

123102_09.jpg

123102_10.jpg

Hope that helps.

I am seriously considerng going with a smaller diameter tip. The 4" tips do indeed fill up the cutout... but IMO, look a little too "fart canish". I'll probably be changing these out next week for some 3 1/2" tips. I really do wish I was at the shop when these went on... and I suggest you do the same. No need to have to do this twice ya know.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread