QA1 vs. Horse Power By Herman Adjustable Rear Shocks

stangfan

When in doubt.. Floor it!
Established Member
I know that there's a ton of information out related to this topic... Believe me, I've read just about every thread on this board and several others and I'm still 'confused'. The bottom line is, I want results.

Here's a little background on my car -
I have a convertible that makes 456rwhp and 468 ft/lbs tq with 18" R rims, Steeda 2003 Cobra sport springs, Steeda rear diff bushings, Steeda Sub frame connectors, and MM IRS subframe bushings. With these mods - I have terrible/violent wheel hop. To give you an idea on how bad it is, I hop (regularly) in 1st, 2nd, and even on my 2-3 shift when I'm 'running' the car - including at the track. The bottom line is, I feel that I can only 'use' < 3/4 of the power that my motor is making. My goal is to 'fix' this problem.

Most people I talk to (mostly solid rear Mustang guys) say that you can't have the best of both worlds with the IRS. I personally would like to do everything I can to keep the IRS in place. So I've done some research...I think I have it narrowed down to 2 choices -

1) Horse Power By Herman 6 way adjustable shocks

2) QA1 12 way adjustable shocks

From what I can tell, they are both about the same price so money is no object in this decision. So, for those of you that have either of these products, or did your research on this topic too, can you please chime in. I'm (and many others I'm sure) are all ears!

Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:

2kbill

Established Member
I have the HBH shocks, and have heard from others that they work better that the QA1's, but that is second hand info. My experience was that the HBH's cured 95% of my wheel hop, the only time I got hop thereafter was with cold F1's on uneven pavement. That was with Eaton power levels on the street and at the track. After the KB was added, however, the hop came back on launch with the F1's. I am now in process of getting rid of the IRS and getting some more appropriate tires. If you are going to try shocks, I suggest the HBH's.

Good luck,
Bill

2thman

giggle gas expert
Established Member
I have GRC subs, and HBH shocks only. I dont hop much, except on cold mornings. NO hop @ the track. I also run nitto dr, but my gs-d3's didnt hop either.

jason

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Before changing shocks, check your IRS bolts. You can get the 14MM bolts from Maximum Motorsports. So far all the 2003 Cobra's looked at have 12mm bolts, and the reason seems to be a softer ride, but results in play of the IRS.

One of my 12mm bolts were actually CHEWED up a bit because it was bouncing around in there. The 14mm bolt fits the way it's supposed to.

From there, I'd look into making sure everything is torqued correctly back there, then move on to stickier tires. The colder it is, the more hop you have. In this weather right now, you can forget about smokey burnouts in the mid-west. In the summertime, I was laying down some rubber.

Richo

"Ford Parts Whore"
Established Member
StangFan, shoot me a pm with your phone number. I just picked up a set of the HBH shocks and hope they take care of the wheel hop!

hwystr

Established Member
Has anyone tried quad (4) shocks in the rear - 2 angled rwd to angled fwd. Heard that was a hot ticket for stopping hop on pick-ups. Would take some fabrication. Just a thought.

Venimus03

Established Member
ChicagoMike said:
Before changing shocks, check your IRS bolts. You can get the 14MM bolts from Maximum Motorsports. So far all the 2003 Cobra's looked at have 12mm bolts, and the reason seems to be a softer ride, but results in play of the IRS.

One of my 12mm bolts were actually CHEWED up a bit because it was bouncing around in there. The 14mm bolt fits the way it's supposed to.

From there, I'd look into making sure everything is torqued correctly back there, then move on to stickier tires. The colder it is, the more hop you have. In this weather right now, you can forget about smokey burnouts in the mid-west. In the summertime, I was laying down some rubber.

HAHA yes I know I am bringing this post back from the grave yard but I just have a quick question. Can someone point out to me where exactly these 12mm bolts are? Are there only 2? Are they easy to change to the 14mm bolts, just jack up the car and change them out real quick?

Users who are viewing this thread