Q for LEO - Following too close on freeway

CDR Stang

SCT PRP Tuned Whiner
Established Member
A few weeks ago I was driving on the freeway. It was my morning trek to work. Speed limit is 65 and I had my cruise set for the usual 70. Anyway, I'm driving along and I notice a car gaining on me. I estimated its speed at over 90 by how quick it caught up to me. It proceeded to ride up my ass behind me where it stayed there. They were no further than 2-3 car lengths behind me and stayed there for 4-5 miles. I felt this was a very uncomfortable distance since deer frequently cross this freeway with little notice. There was no doubt in my mind that if I were to apply the brakes this car would have ran into the back of me causing a major accident. I held my speed. It didn't back off or pass me until it turned off on a city off ramp. What should I have done? Should I have recorded their plate number and given it to local authorities? Should I have tapped my brakes to alert them of the danger they were creating? Or slowed down to let them know I wanted them to pass?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
If it bothered you so much and you were concerned for your safety, you put your blinker on and move the other lane.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
CDR Stang said:
Into the left (passing) lane on a two lane freeway?

That is an option, so is slowing down and putting your flashers on. This is all simple common sense, there is no specific L.E. answer to what would make you feel more secure in that situation.

CDR Stang

SCT PRP Tuned Whiner
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
That is an option, so is slowing down and putting your flashers on. This is all simple common sense, there is no specific L.E. answer to what would make you feel more secure in that situation.
I've been driving for 30+ years. I'm very secure with my driving skills and abilities. It's the jerkwad behind me that apparently has no clue about braking and reaction time. I think next time I just might see a deer at the side of the road and brake for safety.;-)

FordSVTFan

Established Member
CDR Stang said:
I've been driving for 30+ years. I'm very secure with my driving skills and abilities. It's the jerkwad behind me that apparently has no clue about braking and reaction time. I think next time I just might see a deer at the side of the road and brake for safety.;-)

If that is what you feel is necessary to protect yourself, have at it.

CDR Stang

SCT PRP Tuned Whiner
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
If that is what you feel is necessary to protect yourself, have at it.
If by protecting myself you mean to be safe, then it is safer to brake for a hazard in front of my vehicle than worry about the one behide. Please think of that the next time you and your LEO buddies roar up behind a vehicle and dog them.;-)

FordSVTFan

Established Member
CDR Stang said:
If by protecting myself you mean to be safe, then it is safer to brake for a hazard in front of my vehicle than worry about the one behide. Please think of that the next time you and your LEO buddies roar up behind a vehicle and dog them.;-)

Since I dont make traffic stops, except on rare occasions and I drive a U.C. car that is slick plated your wouldnt know. :uh oh:

Hotrod Tommy

SVT Poster
Established Member
Aaaargh I hate tailgaters! I believe that if people did not tailgate it would solve our accident and traffic problems (here anyways). Friday I saw a SIX CAR PILE-UP! SIX CARS! Most likely everyone had like 10 feet in front of 'em (if not less).

I just move over when people are too close behind me. Let 'em rear end someone else!

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
Since I dont make traffic stops, except on rare occasions and I drive a U.C. car that is slick plated your wouldnt know. :uh oh:

Stupid Florida cops. Everybody has normal tags now.

It was much easier when all the cops had brightassed yellow plates that said county/city.

Users who are viewing this thread