Pyrometer too HOT?

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
My bung is 1in from no8 port tapped into my stock ported manifold. I am running an offroad X with a Magnaflow catback.
On long pulls WOT with an 3.400 upper and Predator 91 Pulley Tune I see 1550 to 1600... IT2 usually around 130 max and ECT in the high 220's.

I tried pulling timing and adding fuel with no real effect.

Any Ideas?

See my vid, pyrometer on the left...
http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h199/Venom525rwhp/?action=view&current=Pyrometervid.flv

Terminator

Established Member
I don't OT, so I really can't compare mine to yours.
1500+ egt is not good as far as I know. On a highway blast I see less than 1300 (cai w/ factory tune), ~1100 highway cruise & ~600 @ idle with the sensor in the RH front pipe just below the flange.
Not much help, but it will give ya a bump ttt.

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
This is where I've got mine installed and I've had it in 2 different vehicles like this and never seen a temp over 1400 Degrees, normal operating range at 80MPH is about 1200 Degrees.

105_0588.jpg

Last edited:

Terminator

Established Member
BLK03SVT10TH said:
This is where I've got mine installed and I've had it in 2 different vehicles like this and never seen a temp over 1400 Degrees, normal operating range at 80MPH is about 1200 Degrees.

105_0588.jpg
Same location ;-)

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
I have mine in the same location. as pictured.

I have an intake, catback, X pipe and tune.

I see 1300 F or a little higher on hard WOT pulls. I don't see a problem with touching 1500 F for very short bursts, but that is the point where I would start to be very concerned because of the tight piston to wall clearance on the motors. Do you know what your AFR is? Mine is tuned for 11.3 on the street. My guess is that you are leaner than that. The predator pulley tuns usually run lean.

If you are doing OT events, I would shoot for 11.0-11.1 AFR and mabye taper lower into the high 10s at very high load levels. Be aware that backing off timing sometimes INCREASES EGTs, so you might put the timing back in and see if that helps.

Ashley

Last edited:

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
I see ~780 *C (1436 *F) at WOT in the high RPM's and ~550-610 *C (1022 -1130 *F) cruising on the highway at 70-80 MPH.

It idles around ~370* C (698 *F).

I have the DynoTune digital EGT gauge/setup from http://www.dynotunenitrous.com. The sensor is in the same place as in the pic above.

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
On second thought my probe is actually 1.5 in from the header flange ( I remember know because I did it as per instructions - anything closer can hurt the probe and further away limits the responce), is my reading higher than everyone els because it is closer to the header flange?

Will the cooling mod help this?:shrug:

Ashley,
Good point - next time I'll try and add more fuel only...
With the 91 Tune A/F was in the low 11's at mid rpms and 10's between 5 & 6,timing 18 -19.
Anything over 20 deg and she will over heat in less than 3 laps.

Thanks for the replies, I'll post some more pics under "New guy" in the road race section!

Riaan

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Venom525RWHP said:
On second thought my probe is actually 1.5 in from the header flange ( I remember know because I did it as per instructions - anything closer can hurt the probe and further away limits the responce), is my reading higher than everyone els because it is closer to the header flange?

Will the cooling mod help this?:shrug:
Riaan

That position of the probe would not account for the 200 degree difference. I could accept possibly 50 degrees more or so. My probe is less than 3 inches from yours, and the cast iron manifold retains alot of heat.

The cooling mod wont help directly with this problem, but it would be a great mod to add, especially considering what you are doing with the car.

Ashley

Users who are viewing this thread