Pypes Bomb Axle-back muffler delete?

Kobreh

Established Member
I have a 2010 GT500 and I was wondering if anyone has tried this system. How is the sound, fitment, looks, etc?

It was super cheap on American Muscle but has really great reviews from like 40 people. I went ahead and ordered it but I'm wondering if I made a mistake.

Any info would be great. Thanks! :beer:

Moburto10GT

I have them on my 07 GT500, sound is comparable to the Loud Mouths and the Boom Tubes. I think they sound good but everyone is different. The only thing i wish is that they were a little deeper, so i will eventually be switching to an H pipe..... Oh almost forgot, the fitment was good, but i had to get them welded in due to the clamps not being worth a damn. But other than that no real problems with mine.

Last edited by a moderator:

bpmurr

Established Member
I have the second revision that the exhaust flows into the resonators. The first one I got that had the exhaust flow over droned really bad. This one still drones quite a bit though.

chevellecobra

Established Member
I just ordered a set from there too. They are getting delivered to my house right now. I hope to install them tonight so I will let you know how they are. I have the same concerns as you, but for the price I think it was worth the chance. Anything has got to be better than stock (too quiet).

Kobreh

Established Member
I just ordered a set from there too. They are getting delivered to my house right now. I hope to install them tonight so I will let you know how they are. I have the same concerns as you, but for the price I think it was worth the chance. Anything has got to be better than stock (too quiet).

Yeah, I'd like to hear first impressions as soon as you find out. Mine should arrive in a few days.

I have the second revision that the exhaust flows into the resonators. The first one I got that had the exhaust flow over droned really bad. This one still drones quite a bit though.

It's weird that so many people that reviewed them on American Muscle said they didn't drone at all. Those reviewers must be on the payroll :dw:

I have them on my 07 GT500, sound is comparable to the Loud Mouths and the Boom Tubes. I think they sound good but everyone is different. The only thing i wish is that they were a little deeper, so i will eventually be switching to an H pipe..... Oh almost forgot, the fitment was good, but i had to get them welded in due to the clamps not being worth a damn. But other than that no real problems with mine.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I appreciate it.

Hopefully it won't be too loud. Do the tips look as nice/nicer than stock and fill up the valence?

Moburto10GT

Thanks for the replies fellas. I appreciate it.

Hopefully it won't be too loud. Do the tips look as nice/nicer than stock and fill up the valence?

You are welcome. The tips do look A LOT better than stock, and they do fill out the holes in the valence quite nicely on my 2007, not sure on the 2010 tho. As far as the drone, they do drone some, but not any worse than my Borla Stingers did. If i had pictures and videos on my work computer id let you see how they look and sound on my 2007 but unfortunately i dont....

Last edited by a moderator:

Kobreh

Established Member
You are welcome. The tips do look A LOT better than stock, and they do fill out the holes in the valence quite nicely on my 2007, not sure on the 2010 tho. As far as the drone, they do drone some, but not any worse than my Borla Stingers did. If i had pictures and videos on my work computer id let you see how they look and sound on my 2007 but unfortunately i dont....

No problem. I looked up a few videos on youtube and for the price, these things seem like a steal.

I'm just looking for something a little different. Any performance gains or all sound? It seems like louder cars always feel faster.

Moburto10GT

Yup for the price it is a damn good deal. It is mostly just sound... If there is any power gains it probably isn't more than a few HP at the most, but I don't think there are any gains at all, just sound.

Kobreh

Established Member

bpmurr, it was your video I saw on youtube. Very helpful so thanks.

Did you (or anyone else for that matter) order that 05+ exhaust hanger kit for $60? I didn't and I'm wondering if I need to.

chevellecobra

Established Member
My new Pype Bombs showed up today when I got home from work. I just got them installed and took a quick drive. The install was easy, but I had the same trouble as I have read that others had. The driver side axleback seems to be short and it was difficult to get the clamp to tighten it. The trick I found was to tighten the hangers and then push the inlet pipe and the head pipe (pipe from the front) together and make sure that the alignment pin that sticks out of the head pipe goes into the inlet pipe past the edge. The inlet pipe on the muffler has an odd cut that zig-zags. You want to make sure that the pin aligns with that. That way when you tighten the clamp the inlet pipe forms around the pin and locks it. I did not do it that way when I first put it on and it basically fell right out after I tightened the clamp and started the car. Make sure you use a breaker bar or impact and go as hard as you can to tighten the clamps. I used both and went until it would not go anymore. The tips are close to being perfectly lined up and everything is tight even after a spirited ride.

My first impression when I started it was that it sounded great. Definately has a nice low rumble for an idle now. It sounds pretty mean. Driving around the neighborhood and shifting at low RPM's, it is really not that loud at all. I expected it to be like the Magnapacs I had on my 04 GT with a lot of droan. Not the case. It is just loud enough that you know something is there. At around 2000 RPM there is a little droan, but nothing like I am used to from other cars. It also does burrble and pop a little when decelerating. The magic comes when you get above 3000 RPM. Then it gets very loud and sounds like a true musclecar. I have not really hammered on it yet (need to take it to the thruway), but I can tell it will sound great. The tips also look fantastic compared to stock. And also with the windows up and cruising you can barely hear it. Good for roadtrips. Sorry no pics or video.

Over all I think for the money it is a great exhaust and so far am happy with the purchase. I will add to this when I get it out on the thruway (hopefully later tonight):burnout:

bpmurr

Established Member
It's weird that so many people that reviewed them on American Muscle said they didn't drone at all. Those reviewers must be on the payroll :dw:

Remember they were developed on a 4.6L GT. The 5.4L has different harmonics. How many of those reviews are GT500s? They also have two types. Mine flow into the resonators. It's not terrible by any means. Maybe I'm just getting tired of loud at 31. lol

bpmurr, it was your video I saw on youtube. Very helpful so thanks.

Did you (or anyone else for that matter) order that 05+ exhaust hanger kit for $60? I didn't and I'm wondering if I need to.

Nope, I just used the stock mounting locations. The passenger side hanger needed to be heated up a bit and bent to get spaced properly coming out of the bumper.

Last edited:

Kobreh

Established Member
Glad to hear chevellecobra. :thumbsup:

Mine are getting delivered today and I can't wait to get them installed. :dancenana: After hearing some of the problems people are having with installation, maybe I should wait until this weekend to do it at my dad's garage where he has more than just simple hand tools.

Last edited:

chevellecobra

Established Member
I would still install them. I only used a rachet with some extentions and a couple of wrenchs. If you do not have a breaker bar to tighten the clamps at the end, just use a pipe on the rachet or two wrenches together. Just make sure the clamps are really tight or the pipes will move. Mine have not loosened at all since the install.

After driving with them a bit I still have the same impression of them, but will say that they are pretty quiet below 3000 RPM. I was hoping for something louder and deeper (like the magnapacs on my 2V GT), but I think in the long run these axle backs will be better all around. Still definately an improvement over stock.

Let us know when you have them on and what you think.

Kobreh

Established Member
Well, mine came in yesterday and I couldn't help but install them. Everything was pretty simple. I might need to get under the car again and adjust the tips, they're not perfectly aligned.

They sound really good, not too loud but not too quiet. I can't help but agree that I wish they were a little deeper. Still, can't be beat for $235 shipped to my door.

chevellecobra

Established Member
I took mine out on the thruway last night and the exhaust sounded much better at 65 to 70 MPH in 6th gear. It sounded a lot deeper. Plus I was able to run through the gears at WOT and it does sound quite good in the higher RPM range. You can not beat the price....that is for sure.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Video of my SLP loudmouths: (Identical design as the pype bombs)

Just a short point here.

Pype's Pype-bombs and SLP LM-1's are not the same design-wise at all.

SLP LM-1's are simply muffler deletes with 3.5" double-wall tips. There is no muffler. There is no resonator. There is no sound chamber, louvered core, or sound absorbing material.

Pype bombs are basically rear-mounted louvered-core mufflers that have packing. They're more similar to Mac Boomtubes; except the Macs are lesser-quality and have no packing.

They all sound relatively similar though volume-wise, but the tonal qualities/depth is different for each :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread