Putting Your Name/Logo On Pictures

rudyrivera1189

Established Member
Alright, first off let me start by saying I'm no where near a professional photographer and I took on photography as a hobby. I always had an interest in photography so I got into it about 2 years ago. I'm constantly learning new tips/tricks etc.

Now I see new "photographers" to mid-level guys put their name/logo on their pictures. That's all fine and dandy however some pictures I took when I started off I wouldn't want my name on them because they just plain ol' sucked LOL. Granted, we all start off somewhere. I always told myself I would only put my name on a picture if I planned on printing it.

A buddy of mine found some kid taking his pictures and claiming them as his own. He doesn't have a logo or his name on his pictures either. What do you guys think about "branding" your picture so if it does end up on another site they know the origin. I'm not talking about a HUGE logo on the picture. Maybe just a little something on the corner so you get at least some credit.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Nothing wrong with that. I do it for everything.

Untitled-4.jpg

greenflash00

Established Member
It can hurt. I run my own design business and I've found that you can only do so much to copyright your work. I know alot of photographers that are crazy anal about "protecting" their work and go to great lengths to try and do so. After a certain point it's wasted energy though. I've always tended to believe that once you put it on the internet, it's in a sense free game. Not to say it's not wrong to copy someone elses work, just saying that when you know Photoshop like the back of your hand it's not exactly challenging to remove a water mark.

Your best bet is to add the watermark and never post an high res images online. If it's online though, you can't really control it completely.

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
You can watermark them and all that but Photoshop is so good these days that almost anything can be removed short of a gigantic one all over the photo that wouldn't let anyone see it anyways. Regardless of whether you watermark it or not, it belongs to you and you are the sole owner of it. If someone is going to repost it then be flattered. If a corporation takes it and uses it on a billboard, then it's a different story and you can file suit against them.

canibus

Established Member
Places like deviant art will ban you for taking credit on stuff that isn't yours. If you find someone using your stuff, just let the mods of those boards know and you'll get the last laugh.

rudyrivera1189

Established Member
I definitely agree that anyone with a little bit of time can remove watermarks/logos on a picture especially with photoshop. I'm not talking about a huge watermark on the picture, I personally can't stand that when a logo covers the entire image. It tends to take away from the image imo.

For example I went on the Calling all dslr owners post your pictures thread and the first picture on the last page was by 89 az ssp.

untitled-1.jpg

If someone were to steal that image and try making it their own they'd have to put some time into removing the text. I'm thinking about putting something that just says my name just to get some credit. Obviously, theres not much you can do once it's on the internet but just wanted to see what everyone thought about someone who takes pictures as a hobby putting their name on it.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I definitely agree that anyone with a little bit of time can remove watermarks/logos on a picture especially with photoshop. I'm not talking about a huge watermark on the picture, I personally can't stand that when a logo covers the entire image. It tends to take away from the image imo.

For example I went on the Calling all dslr owners post your pictures thread and the first picture on the last page was by 89 az ssp.

untitled-1.jpg

If someone were to steal that image and try making it their own they'd have to put some time into removing the text. I'm thinking about putting something that just says my name just to get some credit. Obviously, theres not much you can do once it's on the internet but just wanted to see what everyone thought about someone who takes pictures as a hobby putting their name on it.

Untitled-1-2-1.jpg

Actually it takes no time at all. It literally took me 4 minutes to remove that without any effort using a healing brush. I think you should user a thicker font or something with some background on it as it would make it harder to work around.

*removed non watermark and added new one with watermark, my bad"

Last edited:

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
I just lol, anyone with skills can remove them, heck even mediocre users like the guy above did it. :p

Sent with my over sized Johnson

rudyrivera1189

Established Member
LOL, well it was an example. But yeah like I said above anyone could really remove the logos if they try. When it gets to that point your pretty much SOL. ****ing interwebz haha :shrug:

CobRoush-00

Established Member
If a picture is on the Internet, you have no control over it. If 60% of it is altered, it's not even yours anymore. Therefore, a lot of people will use your creations and make them their owns. You can't even sue them or anything. In all honesty it's not worth the hassle of branding your pictures because they can be easily edited.

StockD15b

HID guru
Established Member
i just use photo bucket to place a image in another picture, If i cant get the picture with my logo in the original photo.

mooch29

Low n' Slow
Established Member
I started doing it once I started to see my pictures pop up in other places. Always give yourself credit for your work, it'll help you get your name out there and it makes you feel good that people are recognizing it.

Users who are viewing this thread