Putting the power to the ground.

guarnibl

Established Member
So I'm sitting on about 600 to the rear wheels at the moment on 10 psi pump gas with the Boss. Whipple 2.3 @ 10 PSI, full Kooks exhaust (longtubes, catted H pipe/side pipes, cat-back), JLT 127mm intake, Cobra jet throttle body.

I replaced the lower control arms with the Ford racing solid billet ones -- don't mind the added noise. I also am adding the CHR torque brace (heim joints on both sides). I haven't done anything else to the suspension besides set it to 5/5.

So ... how do I get this power to the ground the best possible way? Torque is fun but takes damn near until about 70 mph before I get solid traction -- doesn't help it's been near 30 degrees here lately.

Is it better to run 18's so I can run DR's (I.e., Nitto NT01's)? Or would Super Sports / PS3's be better than DR's traction wise on the street (I can get them in 325+ in the rear on 20x11.5)? I like the appearance of larger wheels, but if running 18's means access to tires that will get me more traction on the street -- I will go that route instead. Thoughts?

I realize I probably have to sacrifice some handling to get harder launches, which I'm alright with. I just want to make it much safer to drive on the street, because anything above half throttle and you'll be playing pinball with the guardrails. Just trying to figure out the best possible spring/strut (or coil over) option, sway bars, etc. Not sure about panhard/watts link.. assume watts link would help road manners but not necessarily help for traction. Haven't done upper control arm mount yet but considering it (though wheel hop does appear to be gone for what it's worth, though that may be because I just can't launch it hard enough yet).

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Relocation brackets? I would be hesitant to change much in a Boss suspension as it's pretty well sorted out. Unless you're looking for a drag only setup.

I have PS2's on one of my cars and was very impressed with the traction and handling. Imagine the 3's are even better.

Grant808

Established Member
One suggestion that shouldn't hurt your handling is to run a lower rear spring. I'm thinking a BMR or one of the softer Steeda rears. The BMR rear is supposedly close to our stock rear rate, but it's a lot lower. The lower instant center and increased squat should help put more power to the pavement.

grnenvy

Established Member
My car makes the same kind of pwr and the PS3's spun there ass off. Theres no radial on the market that can handle this kind of pwr. they were good around the turns but straight line traction sucked. Plus they took forever to heat up and until they did my car would slide around turns. I sold the tires 3 weeks later. U need a drag radial and imop the Toyo R888 is the best. I'm running 12.0 rear rims with 315s R888s.
I would also buy a set of BMR relocation brackets they work.
good luck

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
GEARS!!! Replace the stock 3.73s with 3.27s and it will help a ton! There is a reason the new GT500 is geared long... helps with traction. Look and any production cars that make 600+ hp... most are geared tall. They do 60+ in 1st gear... the Boss does what..35..... GEARS will help.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
they were good around the turns but straight line traction sucked.

Didn't expect to hear that. I've run PS2's and they had good straight line traction as well. But nothing could be worse than the Goodyear Supercar's when they're not hot. They made the stock Pirelli's look like drag radials.

guarnibl

Established Member
GEARS!!! Replace the stock 3.73s with 3.27s and it will help a ton! There is a reason the new GT500 is geared long... helps with traction. Look and any production cars that make 600+ hp... most are geared tall. They do 60+ in 1st gear... the Boss does what..35..... GEARS will help.

I've been debating this... as well as swapping in a real transmission into the vehicle that's designed for more power (6060) and has a taller 6th.

As far as those suggesting relocation brackets -- I've already got the Ford Racing control arms, which come with relocation brackets for them since they don't work without them to my knowledge (if they do I wasn't aware, and put the relocation brackets on anyway).

But yeah, I can see the softer spring helping.

What size rim are you running those tires on?

Users who are viewing this thread