Putting on the new front struts and springs. Need some help?

bullet3z

Established Member
Ok, I got everything together for the front ALMOST. So far I got what everyone posted was needed. But it looks like I am missing something. I have the Koni yellows for the 11 to 14 Gt. I Have a set of the BMR handling springs. I got a pair of coil spring insulators, Ford part #8484. I have a set of the Maximum Motorsport Caster Camber plates and thought I was all ready to go. But while looking at everything I noticed that I am missing the upper spring isolator. I wanted to pull the factory front suspension out in 1 piece and replace it with a fully assembled setup. That way I would not need to mess with a spring compressor. I was going have someone else assemble them with a spring compressor that is mounted to a wall.

So what is everyone doing for the upper spring isolator? Am I going to have to tear my factory strut assembly apart to scavenge the parts? Plus from the Ford diagram it looks like part #18183 is all 1 piece and does not come apart. What is everyone using for the upper spring isolator?

Nuar

Established Member
i did exactly what you are planning on doing.
Just order new Strut Top Mounts from ford and you will be all set man.
if you look at the MM caster camber plate instructions, you will see that you have to split your original strut top mount in the middle and use the bottom portion.
I ordered new mounts and my stock front shocks are still intact, spring/isolators/strut tops all in one piece.

Last edited:

evil281

Established Member
Take a look at the maximum motorsports cc plate install guide on American muscle. It's actually has really good pics showing how to separate the mount. But yea you either buy extra strut mounts or use the factory ones.

Last edited:

bullet3z

Established Member
Did you need a spring compressor to take the factory struts apart?

The factory Ford strut top mounts are around $50 each. Nothing like spending another $100 just to cut them up. :mj:

evil281

Established Member
Also op the part 18183 is a gt500 strut mount that requires use of 05-10 struts which will not work for you if you bought 11-14 struts.

bullet3z

Established Member
What is the cool spring isolator? Is that the rubber part that covers the bottom coil of the spring?

Yes the Coil Spring Insulator is the rubber/plastic type material that goes around the bottom coil of the spring where it sits on the strut perch. That is the name that Ford use's to describe them on the parts diagram.

Users who are viewing this thread