Putting on 315/35ZR-17's on 10.5" rims - Doing it right

cobracide

Established Member
Hi,

540hp here so the Goodyear 315/35ZR-17's and the MM rounded head bolts arrived. Doing a little more research I have discovered that 3/8" spacers are needed (right? I know technically I can get away without studs but I want the extra support.), looking on the MM site got them in the shopping cart with the ARP studs. Do I have everything needed? Do I need extended lugs, if so which ones? I'd like to keep the factory look. Is this whole setup going to rub and piss me off?

Thanks!

PS - I've asked MM and will let everyone know.

Last edited:

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I went with a 1/4 inch spacer. I also got the Extended Tip lug nuts from my local tire/wheel dealer. The reason I did so is because even with the MM hex head IRS bolts I had less than the tip of my finger between the IRS and tire. I have ran this since August and have had no issues. Only thing I have seen is a lot better handling and traction with the Nitto Extreme 555s.

cobracide

Established Member
I went with a 1/4 inch spacer. I also got the Extended Tip lug nuts from my local tire/wheel dealer. The reason I did so is because even with the MM hex head IRS bolts I had less than the tip of my finger between the IRS and tire. I have ran this since August and have had no issues. Only thing I have seen is a lot better handling and traction with the Nitto Extreme 555s.

Nittos run narrow so that's how you can get away with a 1/4 spacer. The Goodyear DS-G3's are fatter and you need a 3/8". As far as the thread engagment, the asp studs should take car of that.

Thanks for the feedback.

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
cobracide, I went the same route it sounds like you're going. My setup consists of:

* Goodyear 315/35/17 GS-D3's mounted on AFS 17x10.5 reps
* MM button head bolts
* LFP 3/8" hub-centric spacers (I wouldn't buy from them now in light of the boost overlay debacle. Try Lethal)
* ARP 3" studs
* Regular stainless steel open-end lug nuts (bought 'em at my local Advance Auto)
* Fenders were rolled for a little added insurance against rubbing

Nothing rubs with the above combo and the tire/wheel sits flush with the top of the wheel opening. If you have any questions send me a PM. :-D

Some pics:
Bookstore014-2.jpg

Bookstore001-1.jpg

cobracide

Established Member
cobracide, I went the same route it sounds like you're going. My setup consists of:

* Goodyear 315/35/17 GS-D3's mounted on AFS 17x10.5 reps
* MM button head bolts
* LFP 3/8" hub-centric spacers (I wouldn't buy from them now in light of the boost overlay debacle. Try Lethal)
* ARP 3" studs
* Regular stainless steel open-end lug nuts (bought 'em at my local Advance Auto)
* Fenders were rolled for a little added insurance against rubbing

Nothing rubs with the above combo and the tire/wheel sits flush with the top of the wheel opening. If you have any questions send me a PM. :-D

Thanks Matt look great! What's the deal with the open ended lugs? How do they work? Also, I REALLY don't want to roll the fenders if possible (It's not lowered ie stock springs so maybe that's a plus?). Can it still work?

edit: Ah I see how those open lugs work - they are extenders that the chrome lugs bolt to.. hmmm. Rather avoid that if I can.

Hey - how's the traction on those DS-G3's?

Last edited:

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
Thanks Matt look great! What's the deal with the open ended lugs? How do they work? Also, I REALLY don't want to roll the fenders if possible. Can it still work?

The ARP studs have a longer threaded shank length than the stock lug nut can thread onto. Since the stock lug has a closed end it will bottom out on the end of the stud before clamping the wheel down onto the hub. Not good. I just picked up some regular "old school" open-end lug nuts like these:

306-5350-4.jpg

The open-end lugs will thread all the way up no problem and I bought mine in stainless steel for the corrosion resistance factor. As for getting by without the fenders being rolled, some guys can and some guys can't. Ford build tolerances FTL :??:. Mine were rolled in anticipation of possibly running a larger wheel/tire combo in the future and the added peace of mind knowing for certain that my new $330 a piece tires wouldn't be getting cut up.

Traction is good, but I'm only at 460ish rwhp. :shrug:

Last edited:

cobracide

Established Member
Got ya, so I'll need some kind of lug fix. Just bolt them up and see what happens I guess. Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread