Putting Motor Together Have A Few Questions

LILJohnSVT

Established Member
Well i'm gonna start putting my built motor together this week. I have the MMR shortblock and LFP heads, the heads are at the shop having the guides swapped out. Ok i have a few questions. First i'm gonna put NGK TR6's in the new motor, i have a 6# lower on it now and will go with a 10# lower when its dyno time. What should i gap them at, and should i regap them when i go with the bigger lower? Head Gaskets, i have talked to a reputable engine builder and he told me to go with a set of Victor Reinz head gaskets and to copper coat them. Is this a good head gaskets and practice to copper coat them? And can i pull my motor with my long tubes still on the motor or they have to be unbolted before i pull it ? Sorry for the long post just want the swap to be easy as possible.:beer:

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
I will give my opinion, not to say i am right just what i have learned and things i have been told.
First off yes you have to take the longtubes off, no way in hell you will get them out with the motor.
For a 10lb lower i think you are going to want to go with a colder plug, iirc the tr-6 is only 2 steps colder than stock maybe 1 i dont remember.
Gap is going to be small like .025 or less i think, again only saying this due to the 10lb lower.
Not sure on the head gaskets, never heard of the ones you mentioned but i am no builder either.
Someone feel free to correct me

MR-BOLT

"TQ DEMON"
Established Member
Tr6's should be fine for your setup, there are alot of MP guys that run tr6's with big lower pulleys being that the MP loves to be "SPUN" :D! For the longtubes you will need to remove them and you put them back on once your block is back in & as for the head gasket I have not heard of the one you mentioned before :shrug:?

Last edited:

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
I run a MP blower with a custom 11" lower and a 2.7 upper. I also spray a 150 shot on top. I run TR6 plugs with only one being hurt over a three year period. Even that was on foolishly high timing. Some like the 7 series plug, but I know the TR6s are OK, and idle better. They are in most high boost trucks out of the JDM shop. I run .028 gap with stock COPs.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread